jetrep

I am not comfortable flying unless I can easily push the rudder pedals all the way to the stops. I am average height (5'10") and weight but I seem to set my seat closer to the controls in both cars and planes compared to most my height.

I have flown right seat in a -7. I was not comfortable with the rudder distance. I sat in the RV-12 at Oshkosh and noticed that in that plane the rudder pedals were also quite far away. For reference, I fly a 172SP with the seat as far forward as it will go (and would even like it to slide a little further forward).

What do the shorter pilots do to make RVs fit them? To a certain extent I'm sure an extra pad behind the back works but I would like to hear if anyone has tried anything else. I am building an RV-12 but any input is appreciated.

I don't know about the 12 in particular but in most of the other models you simply drill the mounting holes where they fit the pilot the best. I am 5-6" and have my pedals mounted to fit me perfectly.

I drilled the holes for a variety of positions. The holes go close to the side skin and if a person had to drill new holes to move the pedals after the plane was finished, it would be a real pain working under the panel drilling upward against the side skin.

I'm about 5'9" and 145#. I, too, usually prefer a closer position than most to the rudder pedals. I fit our -8 nicely (the builder was similar size), however might need a little pad benind the backrest for me to feel comfortable.

5'6"

I keep an assortment of cushions in the hangar since I fly different RV's. In my own 6A, I have an extra piece of 2" comfor foam under the seat cushion in the bucket.