yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Powered up the panel and adjusted the pots yesterday. Everything went fine until I adjusted the trim pot. With the screwdriver in the pot, if the shank of the screwdriver touched the hole in the back of the switch panel there was a small spark and the trim fuse blew. This doesn't sound like a normal function and there's no warning about this in the instructions. Otherwise everything seems fine.

Comments form Stein??

And where can I get 2 amp fuses-- auto parts store soen't have them and neither does Van's

Thanks

Wayne 120241/143WM

Powered up the panel and adjusted the pots yesterday. Everything went fine until I adjusted the trim pot. With the screwdriver in the pot, if the shank of the screwdriver touched the hole in the back of the switch panel there was a small spark and the trim fuse blew. This doesn't sound like a normal function and there's no warning about this in the instructions. Otherwise everything seems fine.

Comments form Stein??

And where can I get 2 amp fuses-- auto parts store soen't have them and neither does Van's

Thanks

Wayne 120241/143WM

My guess would be that the end of the screw driver was not in the adjuster slot for the pot. When it is in the adjuster slot, what you saw is not possible.

The switch panel should have come with spare fuses. Did you blow all of them?
I would suggest you put some tape on your screwdriver or get a non conductive tweeker at the electronics store.

For the Blade fuses, looks like Mouser has them...

http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/_/N-5g3l/

And then filter by TerminationStyle=Blade and CurrentRating=2.0 amps. You should get a variety of results for full size and mini blade fuses. I'm sure the other electronics houses have them too...if you don't have any luck locally. (didn't see any on the auto parts sites though)

Last edited:
Hi Wayne,

Definitely not normal and if you put in a replacement fuse that blew a 2nd time, then something is broke...and needs to be sent back to Van's for repair/replacement.

If you need spare fuses, we are the supplier of those fuses and sell them to RV12 guys for spares at a discount (as we do with pins and other such items). give us a call on Monday and we'll get you taken care of.

Best Regards,
Stein

Take the cover off the panel

Wayne,
I helped my buddy adjust the trim pot on his plane. At first we thought that the screwdriver was in the pot slot. After not making any progress, we took the cover off from the switch panel and realized that we were no where near the pot on the first try. The pot is located a long way from the little access hole. We turned the pot fully counter clockwise to achieve 25 seconds stop to stop travel time. Since the pot is made of plastic, it is likely that your screwdriver was touching something else when the spark occurred.
Joe

Thanks guys

I should have mentioned thatafter blowing the second fuse (that's when I saw the spark) I taped the shank of the screwdriver and was able to adjust the pot to get 24 seconds stop-to-stop with a trickle charger on the battery (about 12.8 volts.). I will need some more fuses-- thanks Stein.

Wayne