tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I have a basement shop, and I'm curious on others experience with soundproofing solutions. I have installed the Roxul soundproofing insulation, and I am debating about using the resilient channel and/or sound board before installing the 5/8" drywall. Anyone have any experience on what works best?

THanks,
Scott

why are you soundproofing? If you are worried about riveting, it is a very small percentage of build time.

Condo Building

I live in a three story townhose which shares a common wall with my neighbor. There is also a unit directly across from the window in my shop just 30 feet away. So far (2+ years) not a single complaint. As pointed out, actual rivet pounding is a small amount of the actual build time.

dont worry about it

Built most of mine in the basement, and the riveting didnt bother anyone...and I had two small children at the time. Most of my building was done between 6pm and midnight.The biggest noise issue anywhere is the air compressor. put it outside or build a "closet" around it with insulation. Spend your time and money on the plane!

Insulation

I have a basement shop, and I'm curious on others experience with soundproofing solutions. I have installed the Roxul soundproofing insulation, and I am debating about using the resilient channel and/or sound board before installing the 5/8" drywall. Anyone have any experience on what works best?

THanks,
Scott

Seems like insulation would be high on the list for comfort.
My c-frame is pretty loud but small percentage of the build time.

Wouldn't worry about it.

I turned the radio up. That along with the riveting,hammering, drilling and filing made it so I could hardly hear the neighbours. :D

Just buy a really good set of hearing protection muffs for yourself and any other consistent, regular building partners; keep a cheaper spare set or two around for occasional visitors. Plan loud work for less-disruptive times (daytime), and do quiet stuff at night or early morning.

THanks,
Scott

Have you determined that noise is really a problem? I'd verify that before going to any more expense or trouble.

In reality, the only noisy things in the build are riveting and your air compressor. You can greatly reduce the sound of the compressor with a small, vented, insulated enclosure, and the number of hours you'll spend actually driving rivets may not be worth all of the effort you'll put into the soundproofing. You can send the wife/girlfriend/kids/whoever to the mall for that 2% of the build.

I hate to "me too" a post, but I was worried about the noise before I started building. The compressor only irritates me when it runs, no one else minds it at all - even when I forget to turn it off and it runs at 2 AM (and I have asked). Not a single comment about the riveting noise from anyone. I can only swing the dead-blow hammer at the C-frame for about 30-45 minutes at a stretch, and a DRDT-2 would eliminate that noise as well. I do stop using the rivet gun with the garage doors open by 9 or 9:30 at night, because I know the neighbors across the street have little kids.

I had all kinds of contingency plans for the noise when people started complaining, as I was sure they would. No one has.

Thanks guys. Repeat offender, so I am familiar with the reality. That said, I have a special circumstance where it is worth it to me.

Based on the feedback, it sounds like I am treading new ground here.

Look at examples of soundproofing between apartment units or commercial spaces. An air space between layers if whatever you are doing is a good thing. That air space can be filled with sound batts, but if you go batts in the joists then drywall, it will work better if you put a channel at 90 degrees to the joists and either another layer of drywall or sound board. Drywall attached directly to joists will transmit the sound.

I turned the radio up. That along with the riveting,hammering, drilling and filing made it so I could hardly hear the neighbours. :D

Mine don't bother me either, I wear earplugs. Actually, I have pretty good neighbors. I can't fix their broken stuff without making noise. The airplane work makes the least noise of things I do. :D