joeboisselle

Well Known Member
I have an insulated 30x30, that used to be my uncles farm parts room in the corner of his shop. Parts room with no windows (theft deterent) and no ceiling, the rafters are open. It's HOT in there today, close to 100, what do you guys do to keep your shop, hanger, whatever cool in the summer? I have a pretty good size swamp cooler, but that just keeps me from sweating, and it ends up being pretty muggy after a while. Am I doomed to be hot? :confused:

Last edited:
Why not install a window A/C unit into the ceiling of the room? Install a gable fan or whatever to ventilate the attic (assuming there is one) so the A/C can radiate heat effectively.

Another possibility is to install one of the "package" units (like in a motel room) into a wall. That would give you A/C in the summer and heat in the winter.

Whatever your choice, you could put it on a timer so the room will be at a comfortable temperature when you start work.

I built my plane in my attached garage. Fortunately, the airbox for the HVAC system was in a closet off of the garage and I simply tapped a large vent into the airbox and used that to warm or cool the garage. It was easy and kept the garage fairly comfortable on all but the hottest and/or coolest days.

Air conditioner!

Just put in a 25000 Btu A/C window unit ($399 from Lowes). I have a 24 x 30 x 10' building with open ceiling (15' peak). It cools nicely. Hate to see the electric bill though! I have R6 (1.5") insulation so I am sure that helps.

Ya know, that big a/c unit is probably my best bet. Not that I hadn't thought of that, but it is a power sucker. And a $400 price tag to start with is a little high. (ive got airplane parts to pay for yet) Maby I'll empty out my old chest freezer, leave the door open on it with a fan and let 'er run.

Last edited:
Low cost cooling

Kyle had a great suggestion with the gable fan. I had a power vent gable fan (Home Depot) that was thermostatically controlled in my old shop. It came on around 110 degrees and forced the hot attic air out. Open the door and fresh air will be sucked in. Ideally you could install a small window on the opposite wall and get good cross ventilation.

I had mine on a switch that I could turn on and run all night to draw in the cool night air as well as circulate air while I was in the shop. They can be purchased for <$100.

Vent the place at night, close it up in the morning when it is cool.

As I write this it is 7:55 in the evening and it is 95 in Yakima. But I see it is forecast to drop down to the mid 50's tonight. If you could leave the place open at night or ventilate it somehow, it should be comfortable most of the day.

With the current heat wave, it is HOT here in western Oregon. I left the garage open all night, it cooled down even though the outside temps never went below the mid 70's. Closed it up in the morning & it didn't hit 80 in the garage until late afternoon.

Last edited:
For some people, including myself, this shop cooling question is critical to the success of the project. There is no way I could make myself spend the better part of two or three years in the garage if it was not cooled in some way.

I'm doing the 24,000 BTU LG window a/c from Home Depot ($399). I've got a detached 2-car garage (24x24) and my math says it should work just fine.

I've insulated the walls (with that standard roll insulation stuff) and sheetrocked - and plan to hire some, um, contractors <wink> to sheetrock the ceiling, after which I'll blow a bunch of cellulose insulation up there. Electric bills will go up by about $300-400 per year - works for me...

I hate the heat. For that matter, I hate Texas (except for the people) - just flat and hot. The only thing it's got going for it is that it has no scenic beauty and the ocean and mountains are a million miles away...

Don't ding me too bad, I just got back from Alaska. Man, I could live there!

Last edited:
Texas

mdredmond said:
...I hate the heat. For that matter, I hate Texas (except for the people) - just flat and hot. The only thing it's got going for it is that it has no scenic beauty and the ocean and mountains are a million miles away...
Once your RV is finished, the coast and the mountains will be a lot closer! :)

I'm doing like several suggested and have a 24,000 BTU window unit for my 30X36X10 shop. I haven't got it put in yet, but it is setting in the shop waiting for me. I'd rather work on the plane with my free time but I'm sure the heat will win one day soon and I will install the AC. :rolleyes:

As for cooling, the shop I work in has an air conditioner from a communications building, does a pretty good job but you might at least consider ceiling fans to stir things up a bit. That seems to help the most down here in the south.

mdredmond said:
For that matter, I hate Texas (except for the people) - just flat and hot. The only thing it's got going for it is that it has no scenic beauty and the ocean and mountains are a million miles away...

You want to see some of the beauty Texas has to offer? Check out Palo Duro Canyon. Incredible! If you go at the right time you can see Texas, the play, at dusk in the bottom of the canyon. I've been twice and it's a great time.

Nope, not from Texas, not a Texan. Uncle Sam let me visit there a lot.

Last edited: