agirard7a

Well Known Member
STarting a new build of a 7a. What is the best size for a shop compressor, ie. gallon and HP? thanks in advance, al

Welcome to the VAF forum. Try using the search button, there is a ton of info on compressors out there for your reading enjoyment.

Watch for Sears to put this one on sale and go buy it (I think it's a rebranded Ingersol-Rand). It will serve 95% or more of your needs and it's pretty quiet. I even painted my plane with it using a Devilbiss GFG-670 gun.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919541000P?keyword=craftsman+professional+air+compressor
You can get by with less, but oil-less are noisy, smaller tanks cycle more often, and my previous direct-drive CH was noisy, power switch broke twice, and it overheated and thermal tripped if run continuously (which of course was first discovered with $100 of paint mixed up).

Last edited:
I bought a Brute by Briggs & Stratton for about $100 CAD at Princess Auto (Lifetime Warranty at Princess Auto...can't go wrong)
Vertical 10 Gal
2.5HP
Single Stage
Oil (Quieter)
5.1CFM @ 40PSI
4.2CFM @ 90PSI

It keeps up to my drilling. I don't intend on painting or priming with it. I think all this hype about big compressors is only for painting. When hunting, look at the CFM as opposed to HP. Also pay attention to the break-in instructions when buying new.

736692360_640.jpg

Check the home depots and Lowes, I found my 60 Gallon refurbished Compressor for 199.00!

IMG_7473.jpg

-david