Capflyer

Well Known Member
I took these back in December during my phase one testing when working with my systems for IFR. A little old but I have not had another chance to do updated video of an approach. It was a very bumpy day so the video is kinda jumpy but it's not too horrible for those that want to see the GRT in action. I have also found my best/favorite speed for shooting these approaches is around 110kts with no flaps until DH where I slow down but you'll see in these that I was much faster with speeds ranging fron 135-145kts. It took many more of these practice runs to find my optimum approach configuration.

This is the FDK ILS23, Frederick, MD. The approach is a pretty straight forward ILS. P40, Camp David, is in the mountains at 2 O'clock.

My GRT dual Horizon is coupled with a GNS480 and Trutrak Digiflight VSGV autopilot. The entire approach was flown hands off until DH.

Since taking these I have had a chance to shoot a couple of actual approaches with breaking out well above DH and MDA's. I don't feel confident enough in myself to go down to minimums yet. With just about 100hrs so far on the plane, 5hrs has been in IMC. This system is an excellent IFR platform.

http://vimeo.com/1180547
http://vimeo.com/1180665

This is a two parter.

Next Time....

....bring up the HITS display on the Synthetic Approach, tied to the Glideslope - you'll help GRT sell LOTS of units!;)

Good video Mike - shows just how solid the combination can be! When I did my avionics testing during Phase 1, I flew lots of approaches at 160-170 knots - I wasn't trying to land, I was just trying to make sure that the systems worked. Got lots more tests in a short period of time that way....(just do it at a little-used airport when there is no traffic, or you might mess other folks up!)

Paul

Wow

I've been salivating over the HS/HX GRT stuff but this is grounding.

The basix GRT does what it should do. Drag your nose to the threshold.. Rethinking..

Thanks for the post.

Cool video. Makes me want to upgrade my autopilot. Just finished my instrument ticket with the GRT setup just like you... almost made it too easy. Now I'm working on my comm-multi in a Seminole and practicing (single engine) ILSs ain't as easy or intuitive as the GRT with the HSI. Now I have to remember that the CDI is not reverse sensing.

....bring up the HITS display on the Synthetic Approach, tied to the Glideslope - you'll help GRT sell LOTS of units!;)

Paul

My plane is down for a major upgrade right now. I am retrofitting a SJ plenum and redoing my cowling so it may be a few weeks until she is flying again. My goal now is to get her flying and tested prior to taking her to Oshkosh. As soon as I can I'll definitely shoot a video of a synthetic approach with the HITS and probably with someone shooting it from the right seat so I can show how it takes you right down to the runway.

Record & Playback

My plane is down for a major upgrade right now. I am retrofitting a SJ plenum and redoing my cowling so it may be a few weeks until she is flying again. My goal now is to get her flying and tested prior to taking her to Oshkosh. As soon as I can I'll definitely shoot a video of a synthetic approach with the HITS and probably with someone shooting it from the right seat so I can show how it takes you right down to the runway.
You can record it then do the video in playback mode in the stability and safety of the hangar.