Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
I have a wing kit that's supposed to ship out this week. When does abf calls you to tell you when it's going to be here/price?
Not that I'm waiting or anything :D

My call came a couple of days before. Check the web site for carrier with the number that Vans gave you. You can track that on line and watch it sit in a city for a couple of days.
Isn't life great.

my fuselage kit was to be shipped 2/5, I called on 2/8 and the check was still sitting on someone's desk. I called last Thursday and it is still in being crated. :eek:

Everyone should call at least once to experience Van's ummm "unique" approach to customer service :rolleyes:

Just called and talked to Anne who was great.
They got the parts in today so it will ship either Friday or next week. She changed the shipping address to business which should save me $68 for a total cost under $400 which is great news. It couldn't go much further than south FL and I had heard much higher quotes.

Need to finish empenage quickly.

Before I got my fuselage several months back I received a envelope from Vans with the shipping info. (The fuselage was about a month late being shipped) It had the shipping number for ABF freight. There was also a phone number to call ABF so I could call and get updates on the location of the truck. A day or two before it arrived in Orlando, I got a call from the local dock and made arrangements for delivery. They also gave me the exact cost of the shipping. By the way, I picked my fuselage up at the dock and saved quite a bit on local delivery.

Good luck

Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage

Jkkinz said:
By the way, I picked my fuselage up at the dock and saved quite a bit on local delivery.

Good luck

Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage
I was told that business and dock would be the same, so I sent it ot the business which is 2 minutes from the house. Going to the dock is probably not worth the gas or hassle to transport is all the way. I'm just going to uncrate and inventory at the business and bring the parts from there to the house (unless it's a bad idea).

Call Vans before making any arrangements.

I was told at the first of the year my QB would be ready at the end of this month (7A).
After not hearing anything with one week to go I called them.
Long story short. Call before you make arrangements! My kit is delayed 4+ weeks and I did not receive notice of the change!
I don't know if this is typical but a quick phone call to Vans would answer your question much better than this forum.

ABF delivered all of my kits after the empennage.

One thing to be aware of is (at least around here) they do not ship to residential addresses every day of the week. Here they only ship to residential locations on Thursdays. I tracked my wing shipment and it arrived at their dock on a Wednesday night. I expected it to be delivered the next day but it wasn't. So my choice was to pick it up or wait a week and twiddle my thumbs. Hmm...I picked it up.

2004-07-29.103.jpeg
2004-07-29.104.jpeg

(that's not me in these photos...it's my friend that set in the back seat of my pickup with his arm stuck out the rear window while his life was being threatened if the spar box fell off).