TerryPancake

Well Known Member
I just got a call from Roadway today, my 7QB is here. YAHOO!!!!!!!!
But I have a question: Is $1700 normal charge for shipping to their dock in Nashville? Now, I realize that Van lives in Aurora, and I am in Nashville. So we aren't neighbors (I have a globe). But would that price be about right? I think the weight is around 1200 pounds. I shipped a Harley across the country for less than $500.
Thanks.
Terry

My 7QB was shipped 6/03. Freight from ABF was $1240.00 to Atlanta. With fuel prices now, $1700 may not be that out of line.

Derrell

What's on a QB fuselage that isn't in the box for the slowbuilds? My shipping for the so-build was $290. I had no idea there's an additional $1200-$1300 cost for building a QB fuse.

WOW! Guess the drive from Aurora, OR to Orlando, FL in my little Mazda p/u might not be that bad after all. :eek:

ABF to Atlanta

Paid 1600+ for -8 QB to Atlanta two months ago. Actually, it was supposed to ship to Phenix City in AL, but we intercepted it in ATL. The freight company said it would have been about $300 less if we had originally shipped to ATL and that we could get a refund if Van's would submit an overcharge request, but I don't think that's going to happen.

We had two kits come out on the same truck with different bills :cool. Van's said it would be a lot more expensive to ship under one freight bill, but ABF told us (after the fact) that it would have been less.

Bottom line,,,do the math before it is ready to ship, because when Van's calls, it is just about too late.

So, $1600+ it is..

Hwood :cool:

Say Brother Terry,

"Hoe is dit my broer":D....(South African language greeting!!)

Well here is a comparison, not really applicable to your case, but I thought you'd be interested in, since we shared the Empenage class at Alexander Tech.
1) Ground shipping in USA
Shipping RV7: Completed Empennage
Price: +/- $500

2) Ground shipping in USA
Shipping: RV7: Completed Empennage, S/B wing kit, S/B fuse kit, Finishing kit
Price: +/- $500

3) Ocean freight Sharing a container

Shipping RV7: Completed Empennage, S/B wing kit, S/B fuse kit, Finishing kit
From: California to SOUTH AFRICA harbour:) (Ocean Freight)
Price: +/- $1800

4) Ground shipping in South Africa
Shipping RV7:
Completed Empennage, S/B wing kit, S/B fuse kit, Finishing kit
Price: Estimated +/- $600

I am in for some taxes and duties to the estimated value of +/- $1500.

That is a total of +/- $4900, and 2+ months of shipping time, before I get to build !!!:mad:

You guys in the states are lucky!! ;)

Regards
Rudi

PS: Be sure to send me some pictures of your build!!!

Last edited:
If you really want to be jealous, my Finish Kit is being delivered by FedEx Freight to my door step tomorrow for $100. I'm pretty sure Vans shipped it yesterday. Almost overnight delivery!

Dave

In Feb got my QB wings and fuse delivered to Providence, RI for about $1700. Seems like most of the weight is wood crating!

Jim

Davepar said:
If you really want to be jealous, my Finish Kit is being delivered by FedEx Freight to my door step tomorrow for $100. I'm pretty sure Vans shipped it yesterday. Almost overnight delivery!

Dave

Jealous? Do you have a spare room?
:D

TerryPancake said:
Jealous? Do you have a spare room?
:D

We used to have a spare room. Now it's filled with wings, empennage parts, and soon a canopy and engine mount. I'm not sure it's all going to fit. When I mentioned to my wife that the canopy might need to go in the den, she said, "You cannot use two rooms for your airplane parts." ;)

Of course the downside to Seattle (and probably any big city) is that the closest airport with hangars available is 1 to 1.5 hours away.

Davepar said:
We used to have a spare room. Now it's filled with wings, empennage parts, and soon a canopy and engine mount. I'm not sure it's all going to fit. When I mentioned to my wife that the canopy might need to go in the den, she said, "You cannot use two rooms for your airplane parts." ;)

Of course the downside to Seattle (and probably any big city) is that the closest airport with hangars available is 1 to 1.5 hours away.
In LA it's the same, but thats only about 15 miles :( D**N traffic.

shipping cost increases

THis thread is from 2005. What are you guys seeing now in lue of the curent fuel prices?

From Vans to East TN:

Recent finish kit shipment cost me almost $800 bucks! Partain was the least expensive and safest option!

$2194 to Partain for 9 QB wings & fuse delivered last month in Dallas

Yep, I have a QB -6 fuse coming in late Sept./early Oct. via Partain. $2100 +/- delivered to the N'Awlins (New Orleans) area, and he is cheaper by a few hundred bucks. Guess I'll have to wait a while before I order my Catto prop...

Beaumont, Texas

I picked up my finish kit less cowl for my 7 at the ABF dock in Beaumont, Texas in May. The cost was around $665.00. Frank

Shipping 7A qb wings/fuse/finishing kit to Orlando, FL

I just got my 7A QB wings/fuse + finishing kit this week from Partain. Original quote beginning of the year was about 3200. He has now a little disclaimer in place that says the actual price may vary depending on fuel price. After the shippment was underway he send my an update which came to about 3700. Not sure how much the truck freight has gone up since then, but I was surprised how much my stuff changed.

Fuel Surcharges

I just got my 7A QB wings/fuse + finishing kit this week from Partain. Original quote beginning of the year was about 3200. He has now a little disclaimer in place that says the actual price may vary depending on fuel price. After the shipment was underway he send my an update which came to about 3700. Not sure how much the truck freight has gone up since then, but I was surprised how much my stuff changed.

I think he did you a favor. We're paying, on average, 25% more for trucking than we were at the first of this year. His rate only went up 15%.

I think he did you a favor. We're paying, on average, 25% more for trucking than we were at the first of this year. His rate only went up 15%.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Putting the fuse and wings into the prepared stands/cradle was a matter of half an hour. The finishing box was another few minutes. No hassle, very easy. That's really worth it. :)

Partains shipping

Partains charged me about $3700 for a -10 Quickbuild and finishing kit delivered to the Nashville area.