Vern

Well Known Member
I recently had some shipping done from an FBO in another state to my workplace truck dock. When the truckline came for the pickup at the out-of-state FBO, the personnel called my pallet 'airplane parts',which it was not (it was machinery). When I got the invoice it was many times the normal freight rate and tough to get corrected.

Be aware of the high truck rates for 'aircraft parts' and if you can call it something else, do it.

For example, years ago I ran a small silver bullion company. In shipping 100 oz ingots of silver, we put them in gallon paint cans and called them 'metal castings.' The shipping rates was less and the security better.

A roll of aluminum for your plane could be called 'aircraft metal parts' or 'sheet metal.' Be wise in your shipping and you will save some aggravation and $ !

Probably a good point, but it may be hard to hide it from the trucking company since they usually pick the stuff up from the "aircraft" related company.

With my Finish Kit shipping next week from Van's to here in Houston, I'm thinking that nasty 'ol "Class 200" is going to hurt some. Maybe if I ask nice, Van's will classify it the same as a box of silver ingots.. it might be cheaper that way.