stifler

hi i'm looking for advice on how to ship a RV6 to the UK and require contacts of shipping agents or companys to transport the aircraft to the UK. Is there anybody who builds crates for RV's to transport or is there anybody willing to share with a container from chicago to the UK.
regards
s

Would you crate it or would you load it into a container? I've never shipped an aircraft but shipping 12 sailing dinghies in a 40 foot container was about ?5000 total IIRC from Southampton to New York, but that was a few years ago. We loaded and unloaded the container ourselves with some framing we made up on site. Would an RV-6 fit into a 20 footer? Those are the two sizes available I believe. You could try talking to Big Misters (Jon) who could at least point you in the right direction if they can't help directly. Once dissembled the components could be crated and that would be not much bigger series of crates than an QB kit, plenty of which are sent around the world.

Alternatively - I can't resist this - have a look at:

http://xpda.com/flyingtoeurope/

It wouldn't be the first RV-6 to make a transatlantic flight!

http://www.chasingthemorningsun.com/home_page.htm

I understand that there are companies/individuals who do this kind of thing routinely.

Good luck and I'll be interested to hear what you finally decide to do.

Chris

Overseas Shipping

The company I work for ships airplanes overseas on a regular basis. We have 19 years experience with disassembly and containerization of aircraft. This week alone, we're shipping 2 Senecas, 3 C-152's, 2 C-172's, a C-177, and an R-44. This is not a typical week for us, but sometimes they all seem to come at once! We usually only do a couple containers a week; with the price of the Dollar-vs-Euro, we've been much busier lately.

We're located in California, and ship out of the Port of Oakland. We can pick up your plane in Chicago or you can fly it to us. The flat rate for most aircraft for disassembly, packing and containerization is $2500, plus the actual shipping charges. An RV-6 can fit into a 20 foot container, or if you're not in a hurry, we can wait until someone else wants to ship to the UK. Shipping with us, you'd also having the benefit of an RV builder working on your plane, ensuring that everything is done right!

If you're interested, call or email me at work.

Craig Vincent
SkyView Aviation, LLC
209-830-7666 (office)
[email protected]

skyview-final-logo-Blue_Red.gif

is it possible to remove the tail from the rv6, would this make it better to transport? or ist it best to leave it on? what size is it??

Stifler,

It will take an hour or two to take the whole back end off - its very straight forward. With that removed a 6 will fit in a 20' container with prop still attached (although best to remove it to prevent damage). I suggest that you contact someone in England who has imported an RV before, I would recommend David Hockings at Cristal Air on 01323 811779. Has has contacts in Wisconsin who can dismantle and pack the aeroplane. It could easily cost £3 or 4,000 to get the aeroplane landed in the UK, plus re-assembly and certification charges.

The most significant headache you will have is to get a permit. Using someone who has done it before will be a huge advantage. If you haven't already bought the RV make sure it conforms to the drawings and that the engine has at least an A&P mechanics' signature in the logbook the last time the bottom end was apart (very important) before you buy. If it is modified it will take much longer to get a permit and the LAA might insist that you remove the mods. If you have already bought it, and it is modified, then ship spares that might be required in the container - it will reduce the costs of the parts by at least 50%.

In any event it could take 6 months to get a permit.

Pete

PS I wouldn't bother with Denmark, they have caught onto the VAT scam and it will be a huge hassle to get the aeroplane to the UK, if you aren't a US citizen you won't be able to register the aeroplane in your name and so can't fly it on its US registration.

Last edited: