Stormer

Hello,
I need to ship from Vans a large package containing an engine mount and main gear legs for a RV6. I know they can ship direct via FedEx or similiar but I find it a little expensive with the broker's fees etc.
I'm wondering if it might be less expensive if I had it shipped to Buffalo, NY and I just drove down to pick it up. It's about a 1:45 drive each way.
Any Canadian builders out there who have done this?
Any tips wouldbe great!
Steve

Shipping.

I had my stuff shipped to ABF terminal(vans main shipper) just near Detroit Metro Airport They will load it all for you and it was simple. No worries at all.
Pm me if you wish any more info. Cheers

Where it is for personel use you can self clear. I had a Canada Customs office about 30 min away and would go there personnelly with the paper work from ABF I think(it might have been the invoice from Van's) and paid the GST. They would then fax the clearance to the holding place, (can't recall just what it's called , "something house"). Man I wish I had a memory.
I don't mind paying for a service, but custom brokerage still blows my mind. A shipment with a large value doesn't take any more effort or risk than one with a small value, but brokerage fees are much higher. I only wish someone could explain a reason, then I would shut up on this.
Ron

Hi Steve:

I live on the border here with Michigan, I've had all my kits and parts shipped to Sault Ste Marie Michigan and brought it across myself. You can claim it and pay the taxes and away you go.

There will be a UPS store or something similar on the Buffalo side that you can ship it to. Our store here charges 4.00 per package, sure beats the 50.00 dollar brokerage fees that I have paid in the past.

Cheers, Terry.

It's about a 1:45 drive each way.
3.5 hours driving just for a package? I'd pay the extra $50 in brokerage, if that's all it is. You can find out ahead of time by calling FedEx, UPS, or whoever would be shipping it.

But if you've got a reason to drive down anyway, bringing stuff back is easy (at least on the west coast). Declare, pay taxes, drive home. There's no Duty on aircraft parts.

Shipping

Good point Rob, 4 hours out of my day, 40 or 50 bucks for gas, to save $50 of brokerage fees would not be cost efficient unless we combine a trip with shopping or sightseeing to Niagara Falls. I'm going to try to find out how much the brokerage fees are going to be first! I suppose a wine tasting tour might make it worthwhile!!

You might try uship.com

You can post your shipping needs and shippers will bid on it. Sometimes a guy will be heading that way and have a little more room in his truck. That's when I get amazing deals. Unfortunately, it's hit or miss.

Shipping costs

Just got a quote from FedEx to ship from Vans Aircraft to my house for $837, plus I'll have to add tax and brokerage fees which will put it over $1000. Gotta be a cheaper way.
Anybody know the weight of a RV6 engine mount for a IO360 and two main gear legs? And the dimensions?
I'm thinking next time I'm out on the west coast, I'll take a trip down to the Vans plant and just pick them up and then take them as checked baggage back to Toronto.
Steve