MacCool

Well Known Member
I want to have my MTV-11 (two-blade MT composite) propeller get maintenance, refinishing, and dynamic balance. There's a pretty well-reputed propeller shop and MT service facility in the Twin Cities two-hours south of here and my hope would be to just take it there in the back of my pickup truck wrapped in moving blankets. However...the prevailing rumor is that turnaround there (Maxwell) is on the order of several months so I'm also investigating the possibility of having to ship it somewhere in order to get it done in a timely fashion.

What are the ins and outs of shipping a propeller? Looking for tips on good repair facilities as well as packaging and shipping. TIA.

I want to have my MTV-11 (two-blade MT composite) propeller get maintenance, refinishing, and dynamic balance. There's a pretty well-reputed propeller shop and MT service facility in the Twin Cities two-hours south of here and my hope would be to just take it there in the back of my pickup truck wrapped in moving blankets. However...the prevailing rumor is that turnaround there (Maxwell) is on the order of several months so I'm also investigating the possibility of having to ship it somewhere in order to get it done in a timely fashion.

What are the ins and outs of shipping a propeller? Looking for tips on good repair facilities as well as packaging and shipping. TIA.
I shipped my Hartzel composite prop to Hartzel one time. I used UPS. Even though I had the original prop shipping box and it was in perfect shape, UPS would not use it. They said they would need to use new packing materials due to the value of the prop. They ended up palletizing it, although I did not see how they packaged it. Curiously, when I originally received the prop from Hartzel by UPS, it was in the packing box I kept, setting half-on my front porch when I came home one day. 🤪

BTW - dynamic balancing a prop is usually done when the prop is on the airplane with the engine running. I believe only static balancing can be done on an unmounted prop.

BTW - dynamic balancing a prop is usually done when the prop is on the airplane with the engine running. I believe only static balancing can be done on an unmounted prop.
Yeh...makes sense of course and I know that it's usually done on the airplane. I've never had a prop repaired and wasn't sure if they could balance it on a test rig, like car tires :). I'm sure the process will become clearer as I move through it, and once the re-built prop is back on the airplane I can always fly it back down for on-site balancing.

When sending a prop out for maintenance, how does the shop usually balance it before sending it back for re-installation? Surely they make some attempt at balancing...?

Last edited:
My understanding is the shop will do a static balance only, which is why a dynamic balance can get it even better at engine rpm conditions. My MT was shipped direct to the prop shop for assembly, then I did a pick up in my truck, so didn't ship it.

I shipped a two-blade Hartzell across the ountry and since I was sending it to a friends I built a monster wooden box that weighed more than the prop…expensive, but UPS was happy with it.

Prop shops will do a static balance - the Dynamic is done in teh field because it only makes sense to do it was all the rotating components as a system.

Some shops have a service where they pick up and deliver. Memphis propellor did that for the Jackson ms area.
you might ask them when you call.

What do you guys do for the shipping insurance? As far as I know that may be a problem.
My prop had 82 hours, so I insured it for the full value, which is probably the reason UPS insisted on packaging it themselves. Hartzel returned it to me on a purpose-built truck.

What do you guys do for the shipping insurance? As far as I know that may be a problem.
I would STRONGLY recommend insurance. Years ago, I sent a prop to someone and had it PACKED by the shipper and INSURED by them.

It seems that they dropped the prop off the back of a truck or something and bent one tip a certain way, and then it looks like they drove over the other blade and bent it another way.

When I went to make a claim, the "corporate claims" people tried to say, "You clearly did not pack it properly."

[No, Ma'am, **I** didn't! YOUR shop packed it!]

When I was getting full-value insurance, a friend asked about spending so much on insurance. I am SOOOOO glad that I did, as they eventually had to pay up.

I had my Hartzel overhauled by Maxwell 11/2021 and they picked it up in Iowa and had it done in 2-3 weeks and dropped it off at my hangar afterwards. Not sure if they have a bigger backlog now.

TLockard

Tiffin Aire in Tiffin Ohio offers a pick-up, drop off service for a charge. At least they did back a few years ago when I bought my MT prop from them. When my buddies MT needed overhaul, we drove it down to them and dropped it off. A few weeks later, their driver dropped it back off to his hanger, about a three hour drive. When I ordered mine, they delivered it about the same distance for around $200. Their delivery truck was set up specifically for moving props safely without damage. It was well worth the charge IMHO.

Reactions: HFS
I had my Hartzel overhauled by Maxwell 11/2021 and they picked it up in Iowa and had it done in 2-3 weeks and dropped it off at my hangar afterwards. Not sure if they have a bigger backlog now.

TLockard
Thanks for the input. I spoke with Maxwell today. They guessed at a turnaround on an MT overhaul of 4-6 weeks and $6000-$7000. I can work with 4-6 weeks, but “$6000-$7000” was a bit more than I was expecting. I’m going to drive it down to them tomorrow and see what they say. They’re pretty close.

I have no clue,,.is that a reasonable price, or should shop it around a bit more? They tell me that MT propellers are labor intensive.

I shopped around about a year ago. The prices were more around ~5.5. Call mt prop in Florida in deland and ask for the quote. AFAIK they have the lowest prices…

The following is way overkill and I kind of overdid things. When the MT on my Husky needed overhaul I talked to MT in Florida and they had a back log. They suggested Texas Aircraft Propeller & Accessories in Pearland, TX. I called and talked to Jason and he had a good schedule. So I made a wooden frame from 2x4s that I considered very strong (overkill). I mounted the hub to a piece of plywood with 3 compatible nuts using 3 of the prop studs so the prop was mounted securely in the frame without the blades touching anything. The plywood hub mount was attached to the bottom 2x4 runners. I covered the frame with carboard for environmental protection and cut handholds in the cardboard on each side just under the top 2x4 stud so two people could carry the crate. The carboard was bent at the top studs so it was hinged like a flap on each side of the crate. I put strapping around the crate to keep the carboard flaps secure. I also put three pairs of 2x4 runners underneath the bottom of the frame to make it forklift compatible. I made an instruction sheet for the prop shop about how to take the crate apart properly and put the instructions in a plastic bill of lading holder on the outside of the crate. I shipped it via LTL freight carrier to Pearland. When Texas Propeller called and said the prop was done I was on a road trip returning from Arkansas so I altered my route and went to Pearland to pick it up in person and loaded the crate in the bed of my pickup for the 800 mile ride home. Texas Aircraft Propeller did an awesome job and the prop looked like new. I had them change the paint color from white with red tips to black with white tips while they had it stripped down. Very satisfied with the results. The crate for an RV prop would have a shorter length and weigh less than this.

20210418_200549 (Small).jpg
Frame inverted to Install the prop hub bolts in the plywood base.

20210420_172526 (Small).jpg
Cardboard sides were creased to create a hinge so the sides could be opened to access the screws on the bottom 2x4 frame.

Attachments

• Uncrating Instructions MT Prop.pdf
    272.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: