Bavafa

Well Known Member
When used shielded wire, is it best to ground at the device (light) side or the source of power (battery side)?

The way I was taught as a newbie instrumentation engineer (35 years ago:eek:) was to ground the shield at the source end.

Thanks and this has been my understanding but I like to verify what is referred to as "source"

Is this the source of power (supplying voltage to the wire) or the powery hungery side of the wire (light bulb or any other device)?

The document also refer to them as "source" and "load"

"Shields are connected at the source end, and cut off flush at the load end"

The device providing the electrons is the source and the device consuming the electrons is the load.

The most important application is for your audio. You need to ensure that all your shields are connected to the audio panel or intercom and floating at the other end (i.e. not connected).

The guy who wrote this document is Greg Richter, a later version of Bob Nuckolls on electric stuff.

Ten years ago when Mr Richter published his version of wiring a small airplane there was some disagreement between them.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/richter/richter.html

Many airplanes have been built, wired and flown since then, most of them without electric noise issues.

It certainly is a good idea to shield critical circuits but I must confess I simply forgot to shield the key start wires to the mags with the -7A when switching from the Subby to Lycoming engine. I thought this was going to be a huge problem - but it turned out it was not.

None of books on the subject addressed the question - why was there no noise in the intercom of radio?

PS Not being in touch with all there is to know about this issue, the -8 is is shielded. :)