Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
Good Morning,

If I am not missing something it appears that we are not using shielded wire for the strobes although it is called for in the strobe manufacturers instructions. Can someone clarify?

Thanks,

strobes and noise in headsets

You are correct- the wire that is supplied for the lighting kit is not shielded. I did not realize that the manufacturer's instructions called for shielded wire.

What I can say is that despite the noise filter, I get considerable strobe noise in my headsets. This has been a problem since I began flying the airplane. I have not yet tried anything to rectify it and I have not seen many other complaints about it but then, I don't know how many have the lighting option installed. I do recall one post suggesting it might vary depending upon the type of headset. I would like to eliminate the noise if possible though.

Jeff

You are correct- the wire that is supplied for the lighting kit is not shielded. I did not realize that the manufacturer's instructions called for shielded wire.

What I can say is that despite the noise filter, I get considerable strobe noise in my headsets. This has been a problem since I began flying the airplane. I have not yet tried anything to rectify it and I have not seen many other complaints about it but then, I don't know how many have the lighting option installed. I do recall one post suggesting it might vary depending upon the type of headset. I would like to eliminate the noise if possible though.

Jeff

Does the noise stop if you turn off the strobes ?

Jeff,

Are the -12 strobes aeroled?

Planning on putting aeroleds in my -10, wasn't aware that strobe noise was much of an issue with them...

Phil
Salt Lake

Minor irritation for me

I fitted the Aeroleds lighting kit to my RV12. With Bose headsets I get a slight noise on the ground. I cannot hear it at cruise power, so it's not really an issue for me.

Cheers...Keith

Phil:

Yes, they are AeroLEDs. The lights themselves are great- well made, high quality, bright. I am not sure if shielded wiring would cure the issue or not. Would be a chore to convert to shielded wiring at this point- at least within the tunnel. I am wondering if there might be other ways to eliminate the noise.

Jeff

I fitted the Aeroleds lighting kit to my RV12. With Bose headsets I get a slight noise on the ground. I cannot hear it at cruise power, so it's not really an issue for me.

Cheers...Keith

Same here, not an issue.

Curious - if a builder follows the AeroLEDs schematic, does that constitute a change for E-LSA licensing? It is, after all, following the directions for that installation, which is otherwise approved.

Thanks, Dave

Jeff

Technically the wires are shielded (in the wing at least), the wing structure is grounded and should act as a shield for the wires.
but the wiring in the fuselage should probably be shielded.
perhaps the new wiring harness for skyview will be better.

Cheers...Keith

Same for me - but - if I had seen the Aeroled diagram before I ran the wires in the wing I would have gone with the shielded wire just on general principles. Why not? Cheap insurance.

John

I am hesitant to comment on this as I am not yet a -12 builder. From what I have seen from this site and some builders blogs there does not seem to be a true connector for the wiring at the wing root but just tabs that mate when the wing is attached. If this is the case I would think a poor connection here would be the source of your noise. Even though ?cannon? type connectors are pricy it is one of the things I have on my list of upgrades if I ever get to build.