rv7guy2

Have any of you had the "issues" I am experiencing with Sherwin Williams. I live in Ontario which may be part of it. I have contacted three Sherwin Williams outlets near me and NONE of them will answer my questions about Jet Flex paint unless I order "thousands " of dollars worth of paint first. Of course I'm not going to order paint without a color chart, but they won't send me a color chart unless I order the paint first. A Catch 22 !! This is horrible customer service !!One store attendant even argued with me insisting that I supply the manufacturers code of the aircraft which was rediculous since I am the manufacturer , and then he wanted the paint code which of course I cannot get without a color chart that he won't give me without first ordering the paint!!
So my question is, have any of you used Jet Flex Water Reduceable hammered finished interior paint? If so, does it come in a light grey color? If so, what is the code for that color and generally how much did it cost? I'll coinvert the cost to Canadian dollars.
Does any other manufactures such as PPG have a similar product ?
I have been looking at Rustoleum rattle can hammered finish but it does not come in a mid to light grey, only silver.
Finally, yes, I have fired off a nasty e-mail to Sherwin Williams head office expressing my deep felt frustration at their cusomer servicce.

Dave C
RV-7

Yup, Daver!

I have 2 SW places nearby. One that I have been buying household stuff from for years and another that is brand new. I went to the old one and they just blow me off by giving me a heavy marine grade product that I won't use. It is a 4-6 mil thickness product!

The new place said I needed to call the "Aerospace Division"! They won't even talk to me!

Soooooo, I was thinking of telling them I am painting a HORSE TRAILER and seeing what product they recommend then!

;) CJ

Try this route. I simply asked for literature from SW on their Aircraft paint website on Jetfex and received a color chart and a whole packet of information. Then two different distributors called competing with each other for my business. This all happened in a matter of three or four days. The distributors knew I was building a homebuilt and treated me like I was painting 777's for a living. Local paint stores don't usually sell the specialized coatings although I am buying my SW P-60 self etch primer from our local store that sells primarily house paint. Be sure to ask for OEM pricing when you buy your primer. The price dropped from over $100 a gallon to about $70.00. The best place to buy the rattle cans of self etch primer is an auto supply house that mixes SW auto paints. They usually carry it and can get it if they don't. PPG make excellent paint too.

sherman williams problem

Dave C, try calling Phil Sourbier in Kansas 1 888 888 5593, he is the teck man for Sherman Williams Aerospace, and has been extremly helpfull to me.I am using jetflex on the interior and I have only good things to say about, I plan to use Jet Glow on the exterior, a really great product easy to work with.There web site www.swaerospace.com

Rattle cans

Cardinal makes the same color paint as they make for the powder coating used on Van's weldments and they sell it in rattle cans. If there is not a Cardinal store in your area they will ship it to you. I used this on my interior and it is a dead ringer for the powder coating. I can't give you the number off of the cans right now because they are at my hanger, but if nobody else responds with the info I'll check it later today.

Blue Skies,

Try Alliance Coatings:

http://www.alliancecoatings.com/contact.html

I live in Southern California and used the one in El Cajon. Called them on the phone and Paul Seely sent me all the literature immediately. They will sell the Jet Flex by the quart if you want, it was $32.45 US (plus shipping) a year ago. If you buy the primer expect to pay more for shipping as it is considered a hazardous material. For you I suppose the Washington branch might be worth a try, can't speak of their customer service.

The codes for gray (from lightest to darkest) are:

BAC 7802 "Gray"
BAC 7075 "Dark Gay"
BAC 7074 "Fog Gray"
BAC 704 "Basic Gray"

I used the 7802 in water reducible, but I'd recommend trying to get their brochure to decide which shade is best for you.

Good luck-
Jim

The Sherwin Williams stores sell house paint. They don't know squat about paint for cars and planes, although that won't stop them from pretending. Sherwin Williams isn't really set up to sell these products direct; you have to go through a jobber. Look up an auto body supply in your area and deal with them. If they suck, go with a different place and a different manufacturer. I'm sure PPG, Dupont, Sikkens, etc. all make the same things. Incidently, I have had very good service from House of Kolor over the years.

sw paints

steve is correct.
I'm a Benjamin Moore dealer in western Canada; selling standard house
paints etc. I have little knowledge of their (BM's) industrial line of paint. If someone asked me about that line of paint, I would try to get the answer for the customer from tec support. Seems like Dave wasn't speaking to the (owner) manager (ahh, those emploees) .Dave, one thing you could try is get a hold of the SW regional sales rep. to access this paint from your local SW store. In Canada, shipping relitivley small orders of "hazardest goods" can be expensive.
regards, Lorne

Differn't divisions

SW is divided up into several differn't divisions. I have at least 6 SW locations near where I live. When I started my project I decided to use the SW P60G2 primer. I drive by a SW auto paint supply store every day on my way to work so I stopped in. They had no idea what I was talking about and had NO literature and said they had no access to it if they even wanted it. Of course the house paint stores looked at me like I was an alien when I asked for the P60G2. Once again they had no info available to them. I finally ended up at the industrial coatings division which is a wholsale only type of operation. They were VERY helpful. It turns out they supply several products to the local air force base and they gave me plenty of advice on what to use. When it come time to paint my plane I'm going back to them for some input for sure.

Ditto what everyone's saying. Sherwin Williams is a total PITA to deal with. I had to drive over an hour to a Car Quest in Chatsworth to get a few cans of GBP 988 (my new primer of choice for anyone keeping score....next week, I'll change my mind again). Most of the so-called dealers from the Sherwin Automotive website not only haven't ever heard of the stuff, but I had a bunch of them check and they can't even get it for some reason. Totally bizarre.

I guess it depends on the store. I am buying my p-60 primer from a house paint store. They even had it stock. Obviously they were buying it for a contractor and I just lucked out.

Sherwin Illiams Happiness

rv7guy2 said:
Have any of you had the "issues" I am experiencing with Sherwin Williams. I live in Ontario which may be part of it. I have contacted three Sherwin Williams outlets near me and NONE of them will answer my questions about Jet Flex paint unless I order "thousands " of dollars worth of paint first. Of course I'm not going to order paint without a color chart, but they won't send me a color chart unless I order the paint first. A Catch 22 !! This is horrible customer service !!One store attendant even argued with me insisting that I supply the manufacturers code of the aircraft which was rediculous since I am the manufacturer , and then he wanted the paint code which of course I cannot get without a color chart that he won't give me without first ordering the paint!!
So my question is, have any of you used Jet Flex Water Reduceable hammered finished interior paint? If so, does it come in a light grey color? If so, what is the code for that color and generally how much did it cost? I'll coinvert the cost to Canadian dollars.
Does any other manufactures such as PPG have a similar product ?
I have been looking at Rustoleum rattle can hammered finish but it does not come in a mid to light grey, only silver.
Finally, yes, I have fired off a nasty e-mail to Sherwin Williams head office expressing my deep felt frustration at their cusomer servicce.

Dave C
RV-7
Sherwin Williams Happiness

Thanks for Sherwin Willaims help

Thanks to all who submitted respsonses to my Sherwin Williams paint posting of yesterday. I received many useful responses including paint codes.
As an aside, I went to take my daughter to work yesterday and found what must be a hand delivered envelope in the mail box from a Sherwin Williasm distributer in Mississauga with ALL the infformation I need, including price quotes. If this is response to my "disatisfied" e-mail I fired off on Friday, then great! There was no postage or courier markings on the envelope which leads me to conclude it was hand delivered.
I think I'm going to go with the JetFlex BAC 7802 Gray for interior and I'll decide on the exterior paint when that time comes, hopefully later this year.
Thanks again guys for all your help.

Dave C
RV-7 In Canada

p.s...no snow here this winter..should be flying rather than building.

I don't know noth'n about metal roofs and am only beginning to learn anything about experimental a/c but reading through this thread I was wondering what kind of paint is used to paint metal roofs? Are the requirements for roofs [or autos] sufficiently different than for a/c?

sorry for such a newbie question but I am fully qualified to be asking them... :D

John

The differences in coatings is that they are made for variable curing (flash off) times, thicknesses (measured in mils) and durability.

In an airplane you want an abrasion reistant, thin, strong and nice looking finish. When you wrap this all up into one product, you get an expensive demanding product.

Combine this with lawyers and marketing staff that want to make tons of money selling to "Aerospace clientele" and you get a "special" market. They think we have lotsa money, is the problem!

I am doing some tinkering on sample sheets quite soon and will let ya know what I come up with.

:D CJ

You might want to try AFS

Dave,

I got the same treatment from SW as you, which is why I went with AFS. Not because it is a better paint, but because they are happy to deal with a guy who is only painting a single airplane. AFS will sell you one gallon or a hundred, they have a color chart on their webpage, and they have all of the instructions that you need to use their products, right on their webpage. The SW color chart showed up a few days after my order from AFS arrived.

There are other advantages of AFS, but I am not really trying to sell you on AFS. I just think we should not give our business to companies that treat us like peasants. BTW, I had the same problems with PPG as SW.

Tracy.

Industrial is the way to go

A few weeks ago I was talking to a tech at a large industrial painting company. They paint parts and componants for Continental, Boeing, Cessna and more. He said the SW Polan stuff is the BOMB. He even gave me some tips and tricks on application. I was surprised how much help he offered me considering I'm not even a customer who just wanted to know how they "spatter" painted some equipment I own.

jet flex

I have a source for color charts for any S/W product in the aviation
line just ask and i'll be glad to help
:eek:

Contact Information

Just yesterday, after a phone call to Deborah Akey (Branch Manager) of Aero Performance, in Cahokia, Il., I received a JETGLO/ACRYGLO color chip folder/chart. I note the postage alone was $1.35. Perhaps the production cost of the chart AND postage may explain why some of the other Sherwin Williams distributers contacted are reluctant to be cooperative. Still, I made it clear to Debbie I was going to make a purchase and mentioned the name of a known customer of Aero Performance as a reference. FWIW, I subsequently ordered one QUART of Acry Glo and its cost was $96. According to her, the price of all the coatings is going to increase as soon as next week! Interestingly, no additional hazardous (ground) shipping charges were incurred for ordering such a small amount of paint. I believe she said the threshold for the hazardous fees is more than a gallon or so , but I don't recall the exact amount. I'm not sure if Debbie will send out the materials to others upon request but here is a link which includes the 800 number. You can also e-mail Debbie at [email protected]
http://www.aeroperform.com/about.asp

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"