dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I plan to build an RV-12. I have done no sheet metal work in the past but have done plenty of wood working projects. In your opinions, is there sufficient benefit to take one of the EAA workshops on 'Sheet Metal Basics' to help with the 12 build, or is the construction of the plane straightforward enough that the time and expense of that program is not worth it?

I'm building an RV10 and haven't done anything with Sheet Metal since High School machine shop. It's easy enough to learn, watch the EAA videos and DEFINITELY find an EAA Tech advisor in your area. There are things to learn about working with the material and prepping for assembly that just isn't in the build docs.

Otherwise, I think the hands on workshops are over kill, but experience/knowledge never hurts.

I went to a class at GroveAir as opposed to EAA, but I found it incredibly valueable in building my RV-7A. It really gave me the skills and confiendece to forge ahead.

I think I remember hearing some guys talk a while back that they could look at the tail of an airplane and tell whether or not the builder went to a class before starting.

I guess riveting is my question. Pull rivets on the 12. Does the EAA class provide other skills beyond riveting that would be helpful in the 12 construction?

I'd look for a buddy or someone in my area, or the local EAA chapter & ask to assist him for a while. I think you'd probably learn enough to get a good start. Then, if you think you needed more "instruction", go ask.

Marshall Alexander

Money well spent

Any of the EAA workshops are definity worth it. I thought I knew all about wiring up a plane till I took the workshop. :rolleyes: And I got to meet a bunch of very smart and interesting people. :) Remember one little mistake can cost a lot more than the price of the coarse. :eek: I wish the Sheet Metal Basics workshop had be available when I started my 6A way back in the last century.:eek:

I guess riveting is my question. Pull rivets on the 12. Does the EAA class provide other skills beyond riveting that would be helpful in the 12 construction?

I had no sheet metal experience when starting my -12 and there were no workshops where I live. However, I did order the practice kit which I found useful, and the EAA videos were also a great help. Once I figured out how all the strange new tools worked, I had no problems.

However, if I'd had the opportunity to get some hands-on tuition, I would have taken it.

I took the Sheet metal Basics course late last year and thought it was worth every penny. Prior to taking it, I hadn't had the chance to go hands-on with any kind of sheet metal work; I'd done a tremendous amount of searching, reading, and video-watching, and I had an idea of the book knowledge, but that was it. Taking the class not only allowed me to get that hands-on experience, but it also filled in the gaps in my book knowledge by giving me a full primer techniques, fasteners, and lots of other data.

In short, I came out of that class feeling like I did indeed have what it would take to build myself an aircraft. I also came out with a real appreciation for prepunched kits. :D