Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
We were able to definitively test a little question I have had in the back of my mid the other day, and I thought I?d share it here for the archives. I have had a single GNS 430 in my RV-8 since it was new, and we are building our RV-3 with a single 430W (the 430 not really being available new anymore). For those who aren?t aware, the databases are not the same between the two 430 versions, and with the cost of an annual subscription from Jepp being just shy of $400, I wasn?t looking forward to TWO of them ? particularly since we NEVER have two airplanes operating IFR in our family at the same time. The plan, therefore, was to upgrade the RV-8?s unit to a WAAS version, and share a single subscription between the two planes ? which ever was going IFR would have the up-to-date card, and the other would have the immediately prior database on a second card.

While we were executing this plan (having the WAAS upgrade performed, it was pointed out to me that the Install manual for the 430W specifically says that once a card is used in a unit, it can?t be used in another. This was directly contrary to what I was told by a reliable Garmin source. Sure enough, the other day, we got the new 430W installed in the -8, and I preformed the card swap ? and it works perfectly. You CAN share a single database between two 430W?s, so long as you are willing to have two cards, and one unit a Revision behind?..

Paul

Your correct. Card swapping works and I do this all the time.
The only thing that is always current for me is anything thats free. Mostly I rely on my free GRT data and the free plates to get me legal and comfortable my my info.
But the card data on the 430 is needed to since in most cases, the procedures are driving us around with a/p and cross efis filling with it.

Just a side note -- second subscription is heavily discounted. It's "only" an additional $135 per year (total $520 for two subscriptions).

Just a side note -- second subscription is heavily discounted. It's "only" an additional $135 per year (total $520 for two subscriptions).

Same subscription though...right? I asked about the cost of a 430 and a 430W, and it was a total of the two individual subscriptions.

Like Kahuna, I sure like the free stuff in my GRT - just wish it could be made IFR legal!

That's correct.. the discount is only if you have two like units (ie two W's or two non-W's.. ). But being one cycle behind isn't a bad option either :)

PS.. I'm still only dreaming of having a GRT in my current plane.. legal or not :)