Buggsy2

Well Known Member
I've been working on the fuselage for a couple of years doing this and that (Mr. Speedy I'm not). So, even though I vacuum my work and the fuse frequently, the dust, grit, and aluminum bits inevitably accumulate.

Today I had to trim a bit off a longeron that was already riveted on a QB fuselage. I used a vibrating (oscillating) electric power tool from Harbor Freight instead of a rotary cutter; I've noticed the oscilating cutter produces less Al dust. The oscillator vibrated most of the fuse also at whatever frequency it was running at...20,000 Hz I think.

While cutting away I glanced down at the fuse and was surprised to see all kinds of junky dirt dancing around on the bottom fuse sheet. The dirt and stuff hadn't been just sitting there and all I could think was it vibrated loose from its hiding places and was now available to vacuum, which I did.

I'm wondering if this sort of trick to shake loose dirt could be deliberately done...think I'll experiment some more. Surely it has to be better to get the stuff out from between the riveted surfaces and into the open.