wmjack

I'm in the process of buying a 9A project that will require a rental truck and a 1400 mile drive. The wings are pretty much complete and in a cradle that can be lashed to the truck side. The empennage pieces are complete and can be easily wrapped for stowage.

The fuse my primary concern. It is currently on a wheeled rotisserie for work. I am thinking it would be better to eliminate any possibility of point loading on the rotisserie end fasteners by chocking it somehow for safety. There is a suggestion to place it on padding and lash it to the truck box tie-downs. I spent many years at sea where I experienced firsthand what happens when things shift while travelling. I am a bit leery that the 'lash on top of padding' solution will protect it sufficiently from scratching, chafing, or impact. I am also not sure that solution would protect the fuse from deforming.

I was thinking that two padded cradles, each made from a pair of plywood pieces sandwiching 2"x4" blocks, might support & protect the fuselage best. Am I overthinking the move and is my proposal 'overkill'?

Anybody out there have experience with such a situation?

Thanks,

Jack Hilditch

On the belly

Jack, we drove 1000 miles from Texas to Georgia with our -6A QB on padded foam, on its belly, tied securely to the sides of a 24' U-haul. It was also tied to prevent fore-aft movement and it arrived in great shape but we also checked it at each gas stop.......there were plenty of those!!

Regards,

Thanks

Pierre,

Thanks for the 'heads-up'. I'll be travelling through Georgia on my way north to Connecticut after picking up the project. Did you use 5" - 6" foam under the RV-6 or more?

Regards,

Jack

Charlotte?

Jack,

Are you going anywhere close to Charlotte or are you taking I-75 south?

I've got a BUNCH of industrial bubble wrap in my basement I can give you. It comes in sheets four feet wide and is cut into various lengths. It is also double thickness so it forms a pocket.

I forget..(it's been 4 years)..

...Jack, just how thick it was. I'd be tempted to take Bill R. up on his offer.

Bubble wrap is good stuff. IIRC, we may just have used some of both. We rented blankets from U-haul and wrapped ailerons, flaps, stab and elevators with them....no scratches at all.

Regards,

Hey Jack,

I'm in Columbia, CT, only about 10 minutes away. If you need a hand with stuff sometimes, just let me know. You're certainly welcome to come by and visit my project as well.

[email protected]

Are the fuselage steps installed? Those can complicate things. I have moved mine locally with the rotisserie supporting the firewall end and straps suspending/cradling the rest in the back of a 24? U-Haul. Cross tied to prevent fore/aft and sideways movement.

Van's ships the QB's on some slabs of styrofoam in a wooden crate (at least he used to), so a "soft" ride is not super critical. Sliding and banging is another story.

Thanks everyone.

Bill R. Thanks very much for the kind offer. Unfortunately I'm flying down from CT to the Orlando area on Dec. 4th and driving north to the current project location from there. I will be a bit west of Charlotte on the trip north and the project will have already been loaded.

I'm planning on going up I-75 through Atlanta to Cartersville where my sister recently relocated from West Suffield, CT. After a short visit I plan to pickup I-81 and head north through the Shenandoah Valley to PA where I will head east on I-84. It is a longer route than I-85 or I-95 but saves me the hassle of driving a 22' truck through Richmond, DC, NY and coastal CT. I would love to touch base if you are available Pierre, since you are southeast of ATL, but that will depend on time.

Mike, the current owner has the step kits but I do not believe they have been installed yet. Thanks for the tip on that.

Dave, as it turns out we are nearly neighbors and have probably bumped into each other at the patch. I live in Manchester and fly out of KIJD as well. I belong to the Hartford (166) and Skylark (1310) EAA chapters. I trained and rent at Windham but got tired of renting. I've been looking at the other 'usual suspects' for a project that would fit (same as on your site) but nothing felt quite right. Got the RV bug at OSH and reinforced it after getting rides in two fellow 166 member's RV's (an 8A and a 6) out of Brainard. One of the other 166 members is building an RV in Bolton so there are a few of us in the immediate area.

It's official. I finally tossed my hat into the ring on Saturday when I sent off the deposit check so I will shortly be among the 9A building community. Now comes the hard part of making room in the garage/shop for the impending arrival, (hopefully before it snows.)

Are the fuselage steps installed? Those can complicate things. I have moved mine locally with the rotisserie supporting the firewall end and straps suspending/cradling the rest in the back of a 24? U-Haul. Cross tied to prevent fore/aft and sideways movement.

Van's ships the QB's on some slabs of styrofoam in a wooden crate (at least he used to), so a "soft" ride is not super critical. Sliding and banging is another story.
fl-Mike,

I checked some of the photos sent by the current owner last night after re-reading your post. The fuse does appear to have the steps installed and they do hang down a bit. Since I don't plan to move the fuse, while mounted on the rotisserie, would you suggest removing the steps for the time being so the fuse can rest directly on the padding without the possibility of point-loading?

Thanks,

Jack

Mount the gear?

I had to move my 7A kit 500 miles in a truck. My gear mounts were already installed so I took the time to install the engine mount and put it on the gear. Easily removed gear and engine mount once I got to Texas.

Andy