RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
- - -THIS THREAD IS INTENDED FOR PEOPLE ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH GRT HXr AND HX SYSTEMS- - -

Now that GRT has geo-reffed plates and maps we will all be devising ways to efficiently set up our EFIS's and NAV equipment to fly IAP's. We at Team AeroDynamix have been very fortunate to be able to do some testing of this new feature and got to offer suggestions along the way.

I've been getting a lot of questions about the GRT HXr and thought I'd take a few minutes and explain how I do instrument approaches. There's no right or wrong and you may already have your favorite way, but for those that are just getting into glass cockpits, I thought I would give a little tutorial of how I do it with my GRT HXr/GTN650 combo. Other EFIS systems will be slightly different but the outcome will be the same. Being ready to fly the approach well before you are cleared for it.

Also, the photo's here were taken from different flights so they depict different airports and approaches. The procedures are always the same however.

Here we are cruising along IFR at 7,000 feet preparing for our arrival. Lots of traffic, sure like the ADSB. (For you eagle eyes you'll notice that I forgot to reset my fuel totalizer so it's wrong. The individual gauges are correct and I didn't run out of gas..

13430753205_5e76c5e518_z.jpg

Before TOD I push FLT PLN - push right knob and highlight destination, push right knob again to bring up WX and details. If you don't have onboard weather you'll have to listen to the ATIS. Review WX and set the altimeter, note the Field Elevation, ATIS or WX freq's. From this page also you can view FREQ's, PLATE and TAF.

13432454443_9b157b63f8_c.jpg

After reviewing the WX and deciding what approach I want I push the PLATE soft key and that brings up a list of available plates. (STARS,SIDS, AP diagram and approaches) Highlight which plate you want and push VIEW or SELECT and the plate will load.

13432312293_afec1f2383_b.jpg

13432446164_af41361693_b.jpg

Once the plate is loaded if you push the PLATE soft key you will be able to scroll UP/DOWN, LEFT/RT, or zoom to see what you want to see. This is where I note what I need to set up the plane for the approach, i.e. - correct approach to the runway I expect, inbd crs, freq's if required, Minimums, Missed altitude, holds or transitions and any approach notes. Once I have these noted I EXIT back to the PFD or PFD/PLATE screen. Below I'm on PFD/PLATE with the PLATE zoomed in late in an approach just to show the zooming feature.

13431938665_5bd0ce956e_c.jpg

Push the MORE softkey and this brings up the AutoPilot PRESET softkey.

Pushing this will get you the SET DA, and the SET MAP ALT. Highlight each individually and set these. (note : If the DA is 780 feet, you select 800 and wait about 4 seconds and the TENS digit will flash and this will allow you to set in the correct DA) Do the same for the MAP altitude.

In the photo below you'll notice that the altitude in the Vertical window that's green is 1180. That's the DA I set in. This will become active on the final leg inbound. Also, the white/black 2500 feet is the MAP altitude I set in using the A/P Presets softkey.

13432454773_7c30ea22e4.jpg

On my setup with the GTN650 I now select and load the proper approach and transition routing. I don't activate it yet because if you are in GNAV and do this you will steer to the IAF. Also, while I'm in the 650 I load the ILS/LOC/VOR freq as required by highlighting it and it autoloads. For an ILS/LOC if I need to set the inbd crs I select CDI to LOC and set the inbd crs. (NOTE. If you do this on the HXr, be sure to go to the HDG mode and push the CDI/OBS softkey to gain control of the CDI. Some setups will autotune the INBD CRS) Return the 650 to GPS if required.

Now it's time to set up the GRT A/P for the approach. Press the Right Knob to bring up the Main Autopilot Control Softkeys.

13388767353_dcb903273d_c.jpg

I start on the left and work my way across to the right. This way I set the Lateral mode, Vertical mode, ARM the type of approach and set up the SAP (Synthetic Approach)

LAP A/P, select ENAV for VOR/ILS/LOC, or if you have LPV or LNAV select GNAV. (If you are getting vectored this will be in HDG) VERT A/P to AUTO, ARM to appropriate approach, for this I'm using GPSV. I also push SAP and set up my Synthetic Approach at this point. The SAP will automatically select the approach you have loaded and will ask you to verify the altimeter setting.

Also, very important.. you will get the yellow EXECUTE softkey.

13432117533_5b074bf8b2_c.jpg

This allows you to continue flying along without changing anything until you are cleared for the approach. That's when you push EXECUTE!

Don't forget to ACTIVATE the approach in your GPS if you are using this. Remember, we just loaded it earlier!

Continues in Part if you care to keep reading.

Last edited:
Setting up the HXr for an Approach (part 2)

Remember to pay attention to the Scoreboards in the upper corners of the PFD. These tell you what's active and what's armed. Very Important information!

13432482155_90cbbedf11_b.jpg

Above the scoreboard is full of information. Lateral is set to RWy05 LPV with the SAP armed if the LPV should fail. I'm in ENAV and the Lateral A/P is ON. On the right, 1170 is the DA I've set in, also noted by the red bar coming up on the altimeter tape, I'm in VNAV and I need just a bit of nose down trim. The black/white boxes show the PRESET Missed altitude of 4000 feet and the SAP Vertical is armed.

I can't stress enough how important it is to actually see what the autopilot is doing. If it's not annunciated, it's not doing it..

Now this takes a while to read but in real time one you get used to doing this it's very quick. I do this before top of descent just after I check the ATIS or about 15 minutes out. In real time it takes just a minute or two and I'm set up

Barring any changes to you plan, you are now briefed and setup and ready to fly the approach very early. From here on in it's monitoring the situation and adapting if anything changes.

If you are getting vectored you'll be in HDG mode already. Below, HDG on vectors for approach.

13432668333_0d27e5e667_b.jpg

If you are just cleared to the IAF or an intermediate fix you will already be in GNAV and it's all automatic. Just set in the desired altitudes and descent rates until you hear "Cleared for the approach".

Below is a MAP view where I'm CLEARED DIRECT to OXTIC, the IAF and am on the approach in GNAV. I have NOT been "Cleared for the Approach", so the yellow EXECUTE button is still visible.

13432637015_de310953c2_c.jpg

N8JL, you are "Cleared for the Approach"...NOW is when you push the yellow EXECUTE. You'll notice that from here on out you ALT window on the VERTICAL side of the scoreboard will auto update to your DA or MAP altitudes.

I also change to the PFD/PLATE view when I get in the terminal area. This gives great situation awareness and you still get your traffic if you want it. You can select it off if it clutters up the plate. You can also set the plate view to what's comfortable to you. You do this by pushing the PLATE softkey and it allows you to move and zoom. You'll see in the photo that I like to zoom it in where I can see the pertinent stuff I really want to see such as my position, minimum box and airfield diagram. Just my preference. YMMV.

In this view you get a compressed PFD but it has all you will need to fly the approach. Pay attention to the scoreboards because no matter what you think, the A/P is doing what's annunciated. Notice I think it's very important..

13389959865_590c7bf5c9_b.jpg

If you have to miss the approach push the MISSED button, which is located where the EXECUTE button was.

13433174904_709d23111f_c.jpg

This is what you push if you have to miss your approach. It will set you to a vertical speed of 500 FPM and HDG will be the mode until you change it or it will fly the missed in the GPS if have that capability and push the MISSED button on your GPS.

If you complete the approach to landing after you clear the runway and get settled you can push PLATE again and select the airport diagram for your geo-reffed taxi in. It's a great help on large busy or unfamiliar airports, especially at night.

13388749183_0fdfbfdf57_b.jpg

If you're still here, thanks for reading. I welcome any comments or suggestions or questions. As I said in the beginning, it's one way to do it and there are many, but we are here to make this as safe and efficient as we can.

Keep the blue side up.

Last edited:
Jerry – In post # 1 above, the picture shown of the DETAILS page, with weather and airport data, appears as a full page black screen. Can the PFD stay viewable when accessing this information? With a single screen HXr installation like yours, how does this DETAILS page work when you’re viewing a split screen setup with, for example, the PDF and map page?

Jerry ? In post # 1 above, the picture shown of the DETAILS page, with weather and airport data, appears as a full page black screen. Can the PFD stay viewable when accessing this information? With a single screen HXr installation like yours, how does this DETAILS page work when you?re viewing a split screen setup with, for example, the PDF and map page?

In the Single screen like I have you can only view it as shown. That's why I say to note what you need, like altimeter, winds, ATIS or AWOS freq's and runway and pick your plate from here before you leave. If you do leave it's only a couple buttons to return, but I like to note what I need and that's the last time. Split screen options doesn't affect this. I can't answer the dual screen question. Maybe someone with dual screens or Katie will chime in here.

Maybe its just me, but I thought "glass panels" were supposed to make this easier :eek: My brain is on overload reading this.

Kinda like computers were supposed to reduce paperwork?

I know this is a lot to read. First off, if you're not familiar with the GRT HXr or HX systems it won't be easy to follow.

My intent with this post was to show my process for setting up for an approach. I went through my process in detail to show all that's available to the pilot once he/she is comfortable with the system. As I said in the post, this entire setup takes just a couple minutes in real time.

To summarize, it's just check the weather, familiarize yourself with and brief the approach, set up the NAV and automation.

The glass does indeed make life easier once you learn it. The situational awareness glass offers amazes me every time I fly.

Last edited:
Good move on "edits" Widget!

The highlight boxes help drive the reader to where you as a "long time" user just automatically looks.

Shared insight as to how those who have "been there" do it on a daily basis is a wonderful benefit of this forum. I think it would be great to have a weekly "this is how I do it" post on all sorts of subjects here on the forum. We would all learn a little, I believe.

To those who feel this stuff is complicated ... well yes it is. The sharp people at AFS, Dynon, Garmin. GRT and MGL have put a lot of years of "smarts" into these systems to give us a far more enhanced awareness of all around us. Of what is going on. Making it possible for us all to be a whole more safe in the air.

But the price we must pay to get "simplicity" from such "complication" is to study and learn the new approach. I recently likened it to the transition from doing "financial stuff" on green forms with pencil to using a computer based spreadsheet. In order to get the benefits, one had to learn VisiCalc or MultiPlan or Lotus 123 or Excel or Numbers. Maybe painful in the first stages but the payoff is great.

Showing my age ... :)

James