JRo

Well Known Member
I'm at the end of my test flying and Production Acceptance Procedure for my recently completed RV-12. The plane flies great, and has no significant issues aeronautically speaking. However, even though I retired off the Airbus A320, software issues continue to confound me. Will someone please tell me how to reset the fuel flow "K" factor? And how to make the zero pitch adjustment on the EFIS? And how to turn on the auto pilot?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

I know very little of the RV-12 but assuming your SkyView works the same as the one in my RV-8A (at least in these areas), here are some suggestions.
  • To set the fuel flow K-factor (assuming you have the "red cube"): SETUP MENU -> HARDWARE CALIBRATION -> EMS CALIBRATION -> FUEL FLOW CALIBRATION. This comes from page 7-40 of the Installation Guide, Rev P.
You can enter the SETUP MENU by pressing simultaneously and holding the two right-most buttons (7 and 8). I entered the recommended 68000 K-factor and am happy with the results so have never changed it.
  • The "zero pitch adjustment" can be set from the IN FLIGHT SETUP MENU -> FLIGHT ANGLE PITCH ADJUST. This comes from page 4-5 of the Users Guide, Rev O.
You can enter the IN FLIGHT SETUP MENU by pressing simultaneously and holding the two right-most buttons while airborne. If you are on the ground, I think this will be under SETUP MENU -> PFD SETUP.
  • I'd recommend you read section 8 of that same Users Guide for autopilot operation. Our procedures may be different; I have an A/P disconnect button on my stick and am not sure of the RV-12.
--
Joe
(I know where Poestenkill is; I have sisters living near Albany.)

K factor

Jim,
I had my k factor at 80000 and it was still a little to high on the fuel flow. Just reset it to 85000 for my next flight and others are using 85000 as their final setting.

Since I flew my Skyview equipped RV-12 I have not been able to get the computed fuel consumption correct and this has been somewhat frustrating. I recently found the reason. When I tested various K value, about one year ago, I noticed that any value above 100,000 was rejected and setting K at 99,000 was producing an over consumption that made it useless. I recently noticed in a post that someone was running with a K value above 100,000 so I tried again and this time 125,000 was accepted. It seems that a new version of Skyview corrected this problem. Now I am looking forward for tuning up this K value, if only weather here in the south will cooperates!