cfiidon

Well Known Member
I have an ECi XIO-360 fuel injected with the Airmotive Engineering (AE) fuel pump. The AE tech sheet says that at idle of 750 rpm the fuel pressure should be about 6-8 psig. I have idle set at 750 and get a 50 RPM rise with the mixture lever before cutoff. ECi cautions against using shipboard sensors to set fuel pressure, as I suppose they don't believe them accurate.

As that is all I have right now I thought I would ballpark it. I turned the low pressure relief adjustment 4 turns CCW and dropped the Dynon displayed fuel pressure from 13.6 to 11.6 (that's at idle). As I don't think I have four or more turns available to me I figure I better get a "precision" fuel pressure gauge.

ECi would be happy to provide me one for over $700!!! Yikes. What does everyone else do? Any loaners out there?

Suggestions??

Don

The ECI fuel injection system really needs to be calibrated using accurate mechanical gauges to check both the metered and unmetered pressures at the locations described in the ECI document. The Dynon's pressure sensor won't cut it.

The RV-8 we finished back in 2010 with ECI engine & fuel injection never ran right until we got the fuel injection system calibrated correctly, now it's been running great for 2 years and over 300 hours. We were lucky enough to know an owner of a Beech Debonair (which has the very similar Continental constant-return-flow type of FI system) who had made his own dual pressure gauges, manifold valves and hose/adapter kit for his Deb, and helped us calibrate the ECI system on the -8 with his gauge kit.

If you can find an A&P who's got a gauge set for calibrating the Continental systems, he'll probably be able to help you calibrate your ECI system.

ETA: Also for a whole lot less money than a $700 kit from ECI, you could always buy a couple of fuel pressure gauges, some hoses, inline valves and fittings from an auto performance place like Summit Racing and make your own calibration kit. With two gauges and the appropriate AN fittings, valves and hoses, you could monitor both pressure points simultaneously. Our buddy who helped us had made his kit that way, and it was made with T-fittings and hose lengths that allowed inserting T-fittings in series with each fuel line so that both gauges would be monitored while the engine was running. The gauges themselves also had t-fittings with valves so that air could be bled out of the lines.

Last edited:
Looking for a do it yourself gage setup instructions for the calibration test gages.

Does anyone want to rent theirs?

Take careful note of the max pressure and thus fuel flow rate. This needs cross checking with EGT on takeoff at sea level at a standard atmosphere.

Basically the 17gph is probably going to be a minimum amount, and will be confirmed by EGT at 1225-1275dF.

This is no different to a TCM / CMI injection system and by simple scaling alone as a WAG it would suggest a flow rate of 17-17.7 GPH in order to get the right flow.

You may find you need to exceed the max values in order to get the right result.

Take careful note of the max pressure and thus fuel flow rate. This needs cross checking with EGT on takeoff at sea level at a standard atmosphere.

Basically the 17gph is probably going to be a minimum amount, and will be confirmed by EGT at 1225-1275dF.

This is no different to a TCM / CMI injection system and by simple scaling alone as a WAG it would suggest a flow rate of 17-17.7 GPH in order to get the right flow.

You may find you need to exceed the max values in order to get the right result.

Is this for an IOX-360?

Did you use your on board fuel flow and pressure gages?

Here I go again.

OK, back at the old "H.Q." so maybe I can post this in the thread that it should go in.. sorry. You may not wish to hear this. we make our own as has been said above. The fittings and hose are stock, but we get the good gauges off the Snap-on truck. You can buy good gauges from many suppliers. You may wish to make you up a set so you will have them around. The fuel system you have is a good one and yes it is modeled off the old "IO-conti." engine system. One I like a lot as an old IO-470 S is one I have trusted for some time now. You will not need to check it to often, as it is solid once it is set-up. However for only a couple hundred bucks it is nice to hook it up for your yearly check-up or every other year. Hope this helps.
Yours as always. R.E.A. III # 80888