SeanB

Well Known Member
I'm new to the wiring part of aircraft. Stein has built some beautiful harnesses for my dual G3X Touch screens. I asked for service loops on everything. Will also be using a VPX.

Does anyone have good pics/suggestions on how much of a "service loop" you utilize, and examples of how you secured them?

Thanks,

I am at the point of needing to know this as well. I have removable panels so I have planned on leaving enough to get the panels out and work on the back.

I recall reading somewhere something like "enough service loop to cut off connectors and crimp on new ones 3 times, plus strain relief for that third one" or something like that...I think it was *here* where I read that.

I found that loops big enough to pull the panel out just got in the way. I am leaving enough to pull my 8.4" efis and that hole is big enough to access most everything behind the panel for maintenance. I may even add an access panel on the passenger side as well. I do leave enough on each wire to cut and re-do a couple times.

Chris

I have a service loop of 8" on my Dynon D-10a & engine instrument sub panel.
I can pull these off the front of the main panel, then reach in with a hand to work behind the panel.
I also have service loops on the back mounted instruments so I can remove the main panel and lower it about 6" so I can reach over it.
I tie these wires together in groups so they will be stronger cords and less mess behind the panel.

Make it a foot

I have found a foot minimum gives you re-splice options and relocation options. It is easy to roll into a very small coil and tie neatly....you will find out later more is better than less. The weight penalty and cost are nothing.

Loops is one thing...

But the only mistake I made in my build, and probably in my entire life, is running the panel wiring through grommets in the sub panel. On my next build I will avoid running wiring through small holes in the sub panel and pass them through adel clamps anchored to the bottom of the sub panel. Because once the connectors and such are crimped on, you can never pull them back through the grommet. (Simply anyway)

Thanks

Great comments and suggestions, everyone. Thanks! Anyone have any pics of your wire routing, service loops, how you secured things?

I appreciate it!

Nice

Jeremy,

Great job on your wiring! Looks very clean and well planned.
We each have similar avionics, so this will be especially helpful.

Thanks for your service to our country!

Here's a couple quick/dirty cell phone pictures (sorry for the long post) of some random service loops of varying lengths (and in varying levels of completion). Typically we leave about 8"-12" depending on the plane, screens and customer desire. Too much isn't good, but too short is also not good. You want enough to be able to pull out the screen and disconnect the connectors without being a contortionist!

Cheers,
Stein

FRPFDREAR.jpg

back%2520panel%25206.JPG

DWPFDREAR.jpg

BWPANELREAR.jpg

back%2520panel%25204.JPG

Last edited: