R

Rex

I'm just resuming construction on an RV-4 after a 364 week delay. This fuel tank Mandatory Service Bulletin is the first bulletin that I've heard about. Are there others? If so, how can I get them?

Go to Van's website and click on Service Information. All RV service bulletins are listed there.

Update the info

Rex said:
I'm just resuming construction on an RV-4 after a 364 week delay. This fuel tank Mandatory Service Bulletin is the first bulletin that I've heard about. Are there others? If so, how can I get them?
Rex not sure of the vintage of your kit, but you may want updated plans and builder manual. Also I assume you have the thicker elevator skin and the engine mount brackets that have the welded legs, flanges (verses separate split flange). A lot of this stuff is not super critical but those two are ones that I would do. If you don't have old back issues of The RVator, may be Van has a drawing / plans update revision list.

If you built the thinner gage elevators, not worry but the thin one (especially the trim tab side) tends to crack. Also the key to avoiding elevator cracks at the first rivet of the stiffeners (near trailing edge) is make sure you get the stiffeners first rivet as close to the trailing edge and when you squeeze the elevator down to shape, put a little dab of sealant at the trailing edge (inside) right at the trailing edge and stiffeners (top and bottom). The sealant will fill the radius and may even fill in between the stiffeners a little. This supports the skin and keeps is bending across the first rivet. The reduced flexing keeps it from cracking. Even the thicker skins cracked but it was more likely with the thinner skin.

Actually George, If the .016" elevator and rudder skins are done per the plans, they don't tend to crack. The biggest cause of the cracks are caused by the trailing edges not being folded enough. If the skins are folded so that you have to open the leading edges to insert the spar, they work just fine. Mine, and many others, have been flying for 14 years or more with no cracks. No sealant, no extra ribs. Just built per plans. Even after the parts are completed, the trailing edges can be crimped more with careful squeezing with seaming pliers. Not saying that the sealant and extra ribs wouldn't help. Just haven't seen any evidence that I need them.

Last edited:
Mel & gmc-

Thanks for the steer to Van's for the bulletins.

My kit was purchased in 1990, and I did buy the new prints and manual recently. The elevators were done @'90-'91 with sealant and quite a bit of pinch at the trailing edge. I'm in this with one partner, and we spent a week in Marana AZ at Herb Ross's RV class. I don't remember where the RTV tip came from, but it may be from the large pile of RVators in the shop.

Old Kits

Rex,
I guess I have you beat - I restarted my -4 tail kit after a 1144 week delay! Bought mine in 1984 and just now finished it. Wing kit arrives end of the month. My 1984 manual said to put a slug of RTV in the elevators, so it's an old process.
BTW, I grew up in South Chicago near Marquette Park and my dad used to take us boating in the Kankakee River. Good to have another Poll building a -4!
Bill

SB 06-9-20

I am in the process of checking the Service Bulletins for my C of A. The discussion says some SBs could be complied with in different ways. For instance the Fuel Tank pickup one. I just put proseal on the B Nut so it cant come undone. Others are seen as downright nitpicking and even counterproductive.

However SB 06-9-20 involving replacing WD-415-1 so it has two welds seems like a good idea. I searched the forums and found virtually no mention of this. Are guys not doing this one ?