Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

If you go to Vans Aircraft website and look under "Service Informations and Revisions" you can see a list of:

a) Service Bulletins
b) Service Letters and Notices

Can someone please help me answer the following?

1) Whats the difference between the two?
2) For aircraft logbook purposes should you be logging compliance with both (a) and (b) above?

While Service Letters and Notices seem slightly more informal version of the SBs, there are letters that seem to address safety of flight concerns (e.g. Fule Valve lever installation). Not sure if I should be logging those together with SBs.

Thanks in advance,
Ashish

In my opinion, and itis comfort for me, follow any applicable one and be mindful of those not directly applicable.

Why? Even if there is no actual legal requirement, and that can be hard at times to judge, if an accident occurs, especially if someone is hurt or worse, and the prosecution says, the manufacturer issued this SB/SL to which you ignored as not needing to worry about, yet itis clear this is what killed Mary's daughter, and you knew of this possible defect, yet you signed out and certified that it was not a problem.............

A bit like Slick magneto SB's or any others. Claiming I don't have to comply may not limit you from liability if it turns out you should have but chose not to.

Add to that the laws of physics apply equally to all men and machines. So even a certified engine, avionics or whatever that has a SB AD or any mandatory advice, the part and the potential defect does not know if it is in a certified or experimental plane.

SIL's on the other hand......are just information and not directives.

It is all as easy as " nah ignore it mate" until you are in a coroners court. And there are two ways to get into a coronial report. Neither is good!

YMMV they say.