sjjonesnz

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out how best to connect the serial ports on my 'stuff'. The GTX327 and GNS430W installation manuals say the GTX327 should be connected to RS232-1 on the GNS430W with TX and RX ports configured for Icarus-Alt, the AF3500EF manual says the the same but the ports configured for Aviation, and the TT ADIpilot II says it only needs the Tx port on, you guessed it, RS232-1 on the 430W but also configured for Aviation. :confused:

Does anyone know if the four serial/RS-232 ports on the Garmin GNS430W are the same? If so I could connect the AF3500EF to RS232-1 (Aviation), the GTX327 to RS232-2 (Icarus-Alt) and the TTADIP II to RS232-3 (Aviation). Thoughts/Suggestions?

Well

On the 430 (legacy unit) you can connect up to 4 devices onto a single serial port.

It was such that you could only set one of the serial ports to any of the offered configurations...I.e serial could be configured to Icarus-Alt, but if you tried to configure serial 2 to the same it wouldn't let you.

So when I attatched the Dynon and the TT autopilot I had to splice them together on serial 1...theat way they both got Icarus-alt.

I don't remember how the GTX 327 got wired in...I don't remember connecting it to the serial port?....I thought it had its own didicated connection...

Frank

More information on the serial connections with the 430

I am also interested in making additional connections from my 430W. I contacted Garmin support, and this is the response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

Yes we have 4 output ports that can be configured for different devices.

The only thing is that if you need "Aviation" out put you can only configer a single port to aviation, but you can put up to three loads on this port.

All three of the devices I am connecting to require either the Garmin Aviation format, or NMEA 0183. I called the support person at Garmin to find out if I could connect three of the ports via NMEA. He told me that the 430W does not output NMEA, so I will be using a single output from the 430 to all three devices.

That's great, I had a funny feeling there'd be a catch like that.

Looks like I'll be connecting the AF3500EF serial #1, ADI Pilot II and GTX327 serial #2 in series to the GNS430W serial #1 (set to Aviation); and GTX327 serial #1 to GNS430W serial #2 (set to Icarus-Alt)...

Isn't it satisfying making progress :D