RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

Building my first panel, I will try and explain becuase I might not have the exact avionics technical lingo down yet...

I have a Dynon EFIS100 & EMS120, TRUTRACK adipilot2, and then a AVMAP EKPiV GPS.

I want to connect my AVMAP GPS serial output with NMEA to these 3 units.

Problem :
GPS has just one output and I need to drive the input of 3 units.

Questions:
1) Can I simply splice all 3 inputs onto the one output wire? Will all the units then just pick up their specific and common NMEA sentences?
2) Is there a 1-3 way Serial splitter available?
3) What would you do or what are your recommendation for such a setup?

Thank you in advance.
Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Rudi,

Yes, you can split a "serial out" three ways by a simple splice - as long as the three "receiving" devices are all happy with the same data format, none of them will know that the other two are eavesdropping on the message it is getting from the "sender".

Paul

Rudi,

I don't think you need a 3-way split, 2-way should do. Just tie the two lines together (splice). The Dynon units talk to each other via the DSAB. I have my AvMap connected to the D-120 and I can see the GPS displayed on either of the units. I think Dynon suggests connecting GPS to the D-120 and VOR to D-100. Something about how the data is handled. If you have the HS-34 then everything can co directly there.

Have Fun

Electrically, it should be fine. I used to have a buffer amplifier in my airplane for the serial data lines, but it required +12V to operate.

Since GPS had internal battery backup, this meant that it could still operate but not talk to other battery-powered instruments during a power failure because the buffer's power would be off.

Took it out, connected the unbuffered signals together (4) and everything is fine.

Vern

Rudi,

What radio are you using?

The ICom has three mono inputs. I used those to feed the Dynon's through and it worked great.

Digital not audio

Rudi,

What radio are you using?

The ICom has three mono inputs. I used those to feed the Dynon's through and it worked great.

Bill... wrong inputs, Rudi is talking about digital RS-232 lines...:)

gil A