skybolt31

Well Known Member
Is it necessary or desirable to install headset jacks "upstream" of the intercom? The intercom installation instructions show the radio connected to a set of jacks and wires going from there to the intercom and then from the intercom to two sets of jacks that will be used on a daily basis.

I have never used the jacks that come directly from the radio and assume that in the event of certain intercom failures, they would be useful, BUT, seems unlikely to happen and since it is a daytime VFR plane, (with a cell phone) not exactly a disaster if it were to happen.

So does everyone include these jacks anyway?

PS Engineering specifies a separate set of jacks for emergency and troubleshooting. I got the idea that if you call them with a problem and don't have the extra jacks installed, they aren't really interested in talking. At least that's the impression I got from their forum last year at AirVenture.

Some audio panels or intercoms have a "fail safe" provision, so you get a direct connection to #1 com if the intercom/audio panel fails. That's what I did with my home-built audio panel/intercom. Of course it does not guard against a wiring failure.

I have dealt with PS years ago about an audio panel problem (2 separate times, in fact) and they never asked about upstream jacks.

The ps eng intercoms, at least the certified versions, have a filsafe mode which directly connects the pilote jacks to the comm 1 radio if power fails to the device.

Now that I think about it we could have used upstream jacks, because our plane was effectively grounded while the audio panel was back at PS getting fixed. The fail safe doesn't work once the unit is pulled out!

Now that I think about it we could have used upstream jacks, because our plane was effectively grounded while the audio panel was back at PS getting fixed. The fail safe doesn't work once the unit is pulled out!

In addition to the above excellent point they also come in very handy for trouble-shooting when things don't work like they should.

Or, you could build a simple jumper plug that connect your jacks to the radio when the intercom is removed. Simple, cheap and easy to install if you ever need it. Of course, you will lose audio alarms and music, but you can still fly.

Last edited:

Or, you could build a simple jumper plug that connected your jacks to the radio when the intercom is removed. Simple, cheap and easy to install if you ever need it. If you are really clever, you can even mix in auxiliary audio with a bit of resistor magic.