hammer408

I'm working on an RV-9A and installing hardware for a AFS 4500 and I have a couple of install questions regarding sensors. My engine will be an O-320 carburated engine with Slick Mags ( 1 non-impluse and 1 impulse).
I'm concerned that the Engine Sensor Main Cable have wire runs that maybe too short and I'm looking at ideal locations for the following sensors.

1) According to the manual, the RPM Transducer is wired to the non-impluse Mag. Sitting in the pilots seat, would the Non-Impluse Mag be on the left or right side of the engine for I'm not sure if I have enough wire that came with the harness?

2) Where exactly would one mount the Maniford Pressure sensor on the forward firewall. Again, sitting in the pilot's seat, where on the firewall would it be best mounted? left top, left middle, left lower, right top, right middle, right lower, middle top, middle lower....suggestions?

3) Fuel Flow Transducer installations...
My RV-9A fuel diagram is as follows:

Facet electric pump ----- Gascolator ----- Engine Driven Fuel Pump

So I'm thinking after the Gascolator and before the Fuel Pump OR better yet can it be mounted after the Fuel Pump for I have more room on that side of the firewall to mount it, then a straight shot to the carb.

4) For the Oil Temp Sensor, I do believe that the port is located around the oil filter, is that correct? If so, then I believe that I have enough wire.

Any help or suggestions appreciated..

Henry

non impulse should be on right

Hello Henry,

You can identify the non impulse mag by seeing which mag is further aft. The impulse coupling adds to the depth of the mag so it always comes further aft. Typically the non impulse mag is the right one. If both of your mags are the same distance aft, they are both impulse mags. I installed the AFS EFIS on my engine (not an RV) and had plenty of wire to reach the sensors.