Ron

I recently purchased a Sensenich prop for my 9A, and got what I think was a pretty fair price considering what Van's is asking.
I saw a message on the front page of this forum back in November from Ed Zercher of Sensenich. He had some new props he could not sell as new for various reasons, mostly cosmetic. I called right away and got one for a good bit less than van's price of 1999 at the time. Plus they wanted the usual down payment. Turned out I had to return the prop to Ed as I ordered the wrong size (3/8 bolts instead of 7/16) He cheerfully accepted the return and said he would be on the lookout for another one for me..Several weeks later, he emailed with an offer on another brand new one, the hub bore was .0015 oversized, and QC rejected it. Well, since we're using the spacer that didn't matter. So I bought it for the same price as the original I purchased in Nov.
Ed told me it was ok to circulate his name and number if anyone has any prop questions he would be glad to help. He may be able to help others going the FP route with some specials as they come along...He's a great source of infomation..
And to beat another dead horse, every couple of hundred you save building this thing helps....You don't have to go through Van's...
His contact [email protected]
Sensenich 717-569-0435

Not me...

Sound scary enough for me! Sensenich metal props for RV's, more on the 320 side have harmonics issues off the bat. Even 360 props have issues. I would not recommend any prop that did not get cleared by the factory hands down! :eek:

LifeofReiley said:
Sound scary enough for me! Sensenich metal props for RV's, more on the 320 side have harmonics issues off the bat. Even 360 props have issues. I would not recommend any prop that did not get cleared by the factory hands down! :eek:
According to the poster, these are factory props. Ed works for Sensenich.

I have never heard of any "harmonics" issue with a Sensenich metal propeller operated within its limitations.

Since I fly one of these propellers, please inform me about these issues for my own safety.

Last edited:
props

These props are safe, read the post, cosmetic issues, read "paint", etc, this particular prop had the center bore .001, oversized, we don't use the center bore...and bear in mind, there are a range of specs in everything,,,,
Ron
9A/FWF

Sensenich

These props for RV's spooked me when I called Sensenich and asked for a pitch request for my 320. I made a few mods to my engine and due to their harmonics issues with the 320, they would not even talk to me. Any prop manufacture that has to put a 2600 RPM limit on a prop for an engine that has an RPM hp max at a higher limit, IMHO needs to re-think their design.

LifeofReiley said:
...I made a few mods to my engine and due to their harmonics issues with the 320, they would not even talk to me. Any prop manufacture that has to put a 2600 RPM limit on a prop for an engine that has an RPM hp max at a higher limit, IMHO needs to re-think their design.
I think you will find that all the mainstream propeller manufacturers will only recommend their products for certain engines under certain conditions. Sensenich has done testing to assure the safety of the O-320 and O-360 propellers with the standard engines, and in the case of the O-320 up to 2,600 RPM.

Call any of the large propeller manufacturers and ask if they recommend their propeller for your unknown engine. I am pretty sure they will say no, because it hasn't been tested.

The fact that Sensenich has tested certain configurations makes me feel more safe, rather than less safe. The fact that they will not sign off on unknown configurations also makes me feel that they are reputable.

If you feel different, then fine.

Last edited:
sensenich prop

ed at sensenich has been great to me. i had a 83 inch metal prop on my o-360 for 900 hrs. the more aerodynamic wheelpants left me underproped. ed swapped me for a new 85 inch prop for free . these props are designed for the rv-6 /0-360 combo. 2700 rpm with great performance #s. ran 208 mph at sun n fun race. 2850 rpm on the deck wot. very happy with senenich product.
:)

rv6ejguy said:
You are running an 85 inch prop on a -6? How is your ground clearance?
I'm not sure if you are serious or not? The 85 inches is the pitch of the prop.

Sensenich 360 props..no issues there

"Even 360 props have issues."

darrell, where is this coming from? Ever owned one? Know of someone who has had issues?

I am getting ready to buy another one since they supported me running a 360 prop on my 6 @ 2850 rpm and always were there to talk as we changed the pitch in response to adding dual electronic ignition, fairings, etc.
You are the first person who has ever made a negative comment about their 360 prop, just want to make sure this info is accurate.
Thanks

Last edited:
LifeofReiley said:
These props for RV's spooked me when I called Sensenich and asked for a pitch request for my 320. I made a few mods to my engine and due to their harmonics issues with the 320, they would not even talk to me. Any prop manufacture that has to put a 2600 RPM limit on a prop for an engine that has an RPM hp max at a higher limit, IMHO needs to re-think their design.

It sounds like you have forgotten what it is like to fly airplanes with fixed pitch props. The optimal pitch for the airplane automatically limits the RPM to less than max rated power of the engine in all but a few instances. In those, you just reduce power slightly.

More recent propeller testing has shown that engine mods can have a major effect on engine/propeller interaction. If the Sensenichs concern you, you may want to call Hartzel and ask them what they think about engine modifications regarding use of their props. It was their testing on a RV with a FADEC system, and then a stand alone electronic ignition with auto timing advance, that orig raised the questions about the effect of engine mods. And this was on an otherwise stock engine. Standard compression, no porting work, etc.

testing...

n5lp said:
I think you will find that all the mainstream propeller manufacturers will only recommend their products for certain engines under certain conditions. Sensenich has done testing to assure the safety of the O-320 and O-360 propellers with the standard engines, and in the case of the O-320 up to 2,600 RPM.

Call any of the large propeller manufacturers and ask if they recommend their propeller for your unknown engine. I am pretty sure they will say no, because it hasn't been tested.

The fact that Sensenich has tested certain configurations makes me feel more safe, rather than less safe. The fact that they will not sign off on unknown configurations also makes me feel that they are reputable.

If you feel different, then fine.

I agree with Larry... it's nice to know the testing has been done..

Limits are common in FP certified planes, again due to lots of testing...

Cherokees...
All PA-28 models with Lycoming O-360-A3A engine and Sensenich propeller Model M76EMM-0, M76EMMS-0, 76EM8S5-0, or 76EM8-0 must avoid continuous operation between 2150 and 2350 r.p.m. Placards must be installed in accordance with Piper Service Letter No. 526, and Airplane Flight Manual Supplement No. 1, dated April 22, 1969

My Tiger
"AVOID CONTINUOUS OPERATION BETWEEN 1850 AND 2250 RPM WHILE
DESCENDING."

gil in Tucson