trackdom

Well Known Member
Hi,
I equipped my RV8 with a O 320 lycoming, 160 cv, and I am looking for the best wooden propeller. Has somebody heard about sensenich, I contacted them but it is so hard to get a response...

Thanks

Hertzler Propeller

Dominique,

Sensenich has a fine reputation but when you ask about the "best wooden propeller", Hertzler Propeller comes to my mind. Gary Hertzler makes a composite carbon fiber/wood prop that is well-known and well-regarded in the canard aircraft community. (I've had one on my Long-EZ for 10 years). He also makes props for a small number of RVs and has one that's a good match for your 160 HP O-320.

You can read about him and his airplane in this CAFE Foundation report

Gary advertises by "word of mouth" (i.e. no web site) so the best way to initially contact him is by email: hertzler at yahoo.com.

--
Joe

I've run a couple of Sensenich wood props.
They were VERY cooperative and worked with me since I have a modified engine.
Their props are of a wide blade planform and work best at altitude where the air is thin.
I still have a 70X82 that I might consider selling if you're interested.

Unless you're purely driven by the cost and/or appearance of a wood prop, I would suggest a wood/composite Catto will give you all the advantages of wood (low weight, vibration dampening, low gyro loads on your crank), but with significantly better performance, physical strength, and integrity due to the blade profile and stiffness that is possible with the outer glass/carbon layups. IMO, Catto currently makes the best wood composite fixed-pitch props.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your informations, I 'll contact hartzell , I don't know why but I didn't think about that well known manufacturer.
Mel, Your proposition could interest me , can we discuss of it by mail?
Sandifer, I am a little bit defiant about composite propeller , I must admitt I prefer woden one.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your informations, I 'll contact hartzell , I don't know why but I didn't think about that well known manufacturer.
Mel, Your proposition could interest me , can we discuss of it by mail?
Sandifer, I am a little bit defiant about composite propeller , I must admitt I prefer woden one.

Not Hartzell......Hertzler.