tinman

Well Known Member
For those who have chosen the 72FM prop, I have a question:
My -8 will be powered by a 180 HP Clone. I would be grateful for input on pitch selection for the 72 FM series prop based on your experiences. I am based near sea level. I would like a cruise-optimized prop.
Thanks
Don

I have the 72FM with standard 85 pitch on my 18ohp RV8 and it is a little underpitched it will however go exactly 2700 with max gross weight in 2000ft
level flight, but I have only done that in test flight, I know that vans did some testing off propellers that was printed in RVator and could still overrev in 8000 ft even that is was pitched to 90?????
I sometimes fly from small grass strips and will not sacrifice my length or climb perfomace (2000-2500 Ft/min) for the top speed

j?rn M?ller

RV8 203 hours

What Pitch ?? RV6A

I have been curious about this to. I have an RV6A with a 160hp H2AD I have an Ed Stabra wood prop, 68 inch / 69 pitch. When I talked to Ed about pitch he told me I should be running a pitch of 76. This seems a little high but I am not sure. The prop I have came with the engine and gives me 2200 rpm static and about 2500 rpm in a 110 mph climb. At 2000 ft I can get the engine to 2750 rpm ( maybe a little more but not much) at about 145 ? 155 mph full power. (No wheel pants or gear leg fairings yet.) Doesn?t moving to a 76 pitch seem a bit much. I am looking for cruse performance. What are others using.

Wrong group I know? But thought someone might have an idea.

Thanks

4.6 hrs Phase I

Last edited:
A friend with an -8 180hp currently has the prop at 87". I think he started with 85 and had them twist it some more. That's probably best approach as you can always twist it some more after you have the plane in final configuration and flying (all fairings etc) They can assist in determining how much additional twist is needed if at all.