RV7AAAAAAA

Hi Does anyone know the law regarding selling an RV when the pilot passes away. As surviving spouse what do I need to do. No will or trust.
Thanks Debi

Our Condolences

First of all, our condolences to you and your family. There are others that are much more familiar with the laws in this regard. Hopefully they answer here. Once everything goes through court, I'm sure that there are plenty of people here who can help you through the selling process.
Best,
Brian

Widow Selling RV

Assuming the RV is Flying:

The aircraft registration branch of the FAA in Oklahoma City is very helpful. Contact them and they will walk you thru the process.

I went thru this recently. This site can help set a value also. There are many papers and logbooks that go with a plane. They are very important and valuable. Protect them. Look on the white pages section on this website for a nearby RV owner who might be willing to advise you.

Blessings!
Vern
(a new widower myself)

Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch

Office Hours:
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Central Time

By Telephone
Aircraft Registration Assistance
Toll Free Long Distance(866) 762-9434
International & Local Oklahoma City Area(405) 954-3116

By Fax
(405) 954-3548
(405) 954-8068

If not completed and Flying:
This site is the best place to advertise and sell projects. Contact Vans Aircraft at Address:
Van's Aircraft, Inc.
14401 Keil Road NE
Aurora, OR 97002 USA

Telephone 503.678.6545

FAX 503.678.6560

Last edited:
My condolences.
As the estate goes thru probate or its equivalent, when you are named heir you will get a form letter saying you are the executor of the estate, to use with banks, etc.
When the plane sells, sign the FAA bill of sale as 'executor for Mr. Smith' and include a copy of the letter. That's it.

selling rv

Actually my lawyer says that since no real property is involved probate is not needed. So maybe just death certificate to FAA?

Actually my lawyer says that since no real property is involved probate is not needed. So maybe just death certificate to FAA?

Isn't the airplane property? Since you have a lawyer, ask him.
I have gone thru this twice, with friends and partners. The FAA wanted its usual bill of sale, signed by the surviving spouse, along with a statement that she was the legal heir. Copy of death certificate couldn't hurt.

The lawyer said real property as in land. I guess it should be like a car.

I'd treat it like a car. You own it now, so you can sell it; I don't think you have to put it in your name, but it might not be a bad idea to ease buyers' minds.

States vary, but I would never buy it until there was some proof that the title to the property passed to you. Just being married does not necessarily mean all his "stuff" now belongs to you alone. That is what probate courts are for. I am assuming your name is not on the registration?

I guess I need to talk to the FAA. :mad:

Oh, God Bless you Debi. Please talk to a New Mexico lawyer with expertise in PROBATE law. Do NOT rely on the FAA.

My thoughts are, if you have an airplane, you most probably have some other assets that behoove you to have court ordered "Letters of Administration". You did say "no will" which means he died "intestate".

I can/should not say any more. Ask your friends to recommend a lawyer you can chat with.

Best to you,

I, too, bought an airplane from an estate. All that was required for my purchase was that the executor of the estate signed the FAA bill of sale as seller/executor of estate and attached a Letter of Testamentary and the FAA processed the sale just fine.

Hi Debi,

My sincerest sympathy to you during this time of loss. I echo the words of others especially those of Mr. Fair. I have been the Executor of estates twice, in two different states, and my daughter practices family and estate law. My advice is discuss your situation with an attorney who handles estates, probate and/or family law in New Mexico.

For more reasons than just selling the airplane, you should have an attorney involved. I hope everything works out well.