I'm working on the HS and the plans tell me I can prime the VA 146 bearing if I want to. I'd like to do this. Can any reliable self etching primer be picked up at a local hardware store, or is this something that has to come from a paint store?

Thanks
Lee Jordan

I've had good results from Sherwin-Williams GBP 988 self-etching primer. It can be picked up at their local store. Mine delivers within 24 hrs.

i've used NAPA 7220 seflf etching primer for my entire empennage, and have had great results. it's really pretty tough for a rattle can primer. i did prime the bearing with it, turned out nice.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that SW GBP-988 and NAPA 7220 are the same thing under different brand names. I have been using 988 that I order from the local SW Automotive place, but once when I ran out I grabbed a can of 7220 and it sure did seem like the same stuff.

mcb

I'm using SEM Self Etching Primer in spray cans which I get from Keystone Automotive. Spray cans sure are easy to clean!

Before spraying, I scuff the surface with a scotch bright pad, alumiprep and alodine them. I tend to do this at the end of my work session, let them dry overnight and spray them 1st thing in the morning before heading off to work. If there is any water left on the parts when you spray them the paint will flake right off after it dries.

yes, 988 and 7220 are the same thing. i used 7220 'cuz my local sherwin williams can't get it...so they say. :confused:

i scotchbrite the surface, clean with a 50/50 mix of solvent and alcohol, then wash with 99% isopropyl alcohol, then spray the primer. works great, and i get a nice, smooth finish that is very durable.