prkaye

Well Known Member
I think I've decided to go with the "rattle cans" of self-etching primer for my RV build.

1) Can anybody tell me what I have to look for on the label when buying htis? Are there particular properties that it has to have, or is it all basically the same?

2) Can I buy this stuff at a hardware store that has automotive stuff (Canadian Tire for e.g.), or is there a good place to order it from online?

Thanks!

Phil

I bought mine at English Colour (a local paint store in the DFW area). Was called 'MarHyde'.

b,
d

Phil: I don't know where you are located, but here are some tips:

Your local Sherwin Automotive paint dealer (not the local paint shop) will stock the 988 rattle can, but in my opinion, the Mar-Hyde self etching primer is superior.

The 988 has a lot of talc in it which can absorb moisture. This can be observed by handling the pieces after they have been sprayed.... they absorb moisture and oils from your fingers. I confirmed this with the SW factory.

The Mar-Hyde on the other hand tends to lock-up to a glossier finish. As a bonus, you can get the Mar-Hyde in large cans. The SW Automotive dealer should also stock it.

I've also used the Sem products which are good.

In Canada, the Tremclad brand is the same product as the American Rustoleum brand. The Tremclad light grey rust paint will stick very well to scuffed aluminum without a primer, and has the bonus of being tougher. The bonus here is that it almost exactly matches the Vans powder coat colour. The downside is that it takes about a day to harden. I used it on my baffles (among other areas) and it stands up well.

I used the SW vinyl etch primer for the innards of my 9A, with the Mar-Hyde for smaller pieces where I didn't want to set up to spray. I wish I had discovered the Tremclad sooner, however, because I would have used it for parts of my interior.

-please, no primer wars, I'm just saying what I did!-

Vern Little

self etching

Phil... self etching at Canadian tire is good stuff...gray can, white cap. I might have found a cheaper source though... I'll let you know

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
If you're going to use the SW GBP988, the Napa 7220 is the exact same stuff packaged under the Napa/Martin Senour brand name but can be bought at various times of the year for about half the price. Regular price is usually only slightly cheaper than the SW version, but at least in October and April the price goes down to about $3.50-3.99 per can. I think someone just posted on this forum in the last few days that a sale was going on. Good luck.

I bought some NAPA 7220 at $3.75 a can about two weeks ago. I don't know if the sale is still going on.

Great Sale

I bought a case today. The list price on the receipt was $8.54 per can! I think the shelf sticker said 6.98. I asked the counter guy if it was on sale and he said yes. I picked up a case at 3.75 a can. Should be enough to finish my -7 based on my priming approach.

Yet another example of how this great forum has helped me and saved me money!

Thanks Doug and all the rest of you...

Great Stuff

Man I love the NAPA 7220. Goes on smooth, covers well, and looks good.