paulevans

I'm New Here
Need to secure my RV7 and do not have tie down brackets or bolts under wings. Is there a proven solution already out there? Are there any canopy covers that include a nylon loop or hook to tie down to?

Welcome to VAF! :D

It would take serious effort to not put the brackets in the wings, they back up the aileron bellcranks. If they are not tapped, it is a 5 minute job to do so. Are you sure they are not in there? I don't generally fly with my tie down rings in place, but it's not a problem to screw them in after landing away from the hangar. I believe using the stock brackets is really the best method. I know you get wind in Phoenix! The canopy cover method would basically secure your plane by the canopy. :(

To answer your actual question, I don't know of any covers that include tiedowns.

Best,
Guy

Last edited:
Need to secure my RV7 and do not have tie down brackets or bolts under wings. Is there a proven solution already out there? Are there any canopy covers that include a nylon loop or hook to tie down to?

What Guy said, did you buy or build? If you bought it, you should see holes in the wings at the outward most inspection panel.

Here's some trick tie down rings you can screw in.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Stainless-Tie-Down-Ring/productinfo/RVTR4/#.UcxRfXy9KK0

As was already said, but I think needs further emphasis, those two extrusions are structurally critical to the aileron control brackets.

Please confirm that they exist on your craft before further flight.

Here's where you will find the threaded holes for the tiedown rings. Just forward of the third outboard inspection panel. As others have said, it's a part of the aileron bellcrank bracket assembly so it's important.

Tiedown.jpg

For the sake of argument, lets assume the original builder DID put the W-731 tiedown bars in, but decided not to drill the skin or tap the bar.

I was looking at Larry's drawing and realized it might not be trivial to confirm the existence of the bars (like having to take off the tanks, ugh).

My memory says there was a #30 or #40 prepunch hole in the skin on my 2005 vintage kit. We had to enlarge it. If it is there on the OPs craft, one could fish a stiff wire in there to feel if the W-731 was in place.

If it is, one could use a "Roto-cut" bit with pilot to enlarge the hole without touching the W-731. Tapping the thread afterwards would then be easy.

Rotacut

An alternate way to confirm existence might be to remove the AN3's from the aileron brackets and inspect the holes. If you can see 3 thicknesses of material before the nutplate threads, good to go. Ref dwg 15.

Last of course is to remove the tank....yuk.