Chappyd

Well Known Member
I have a question about a couple of items that I think should be secured better in the engine compartment. I have an IO-360 M1B with the forward facing injection , and a prop governor in the back. Both of these units are secured with a lock washer, and nothing else. I put loctite on there , but isn't there a better way to make these units more bulletproof? They are both mounted on 1/4-20 studs.

Per Lycoming...

I have a question about a couple of items that I think should be secured better in the engine compartment. I have an IO-360 M1B with the forward facing injection , and a prop governor in the back. Both of these units are secured with a lock washer, and nothing else. I put loctite on there , but isn't there a better way to make these units more bulletproof? They are both mounted on 1/4-20 studs.

...and a long history in the field, a plain washer, a lock washer and nut is all that is required.

Just make sure you use new lock washers each time it's assembled...:)

Thanks Gil. Just seemed odd when a lot of items have either a locknut, safety wire or a cotter pin.

what ever makes you feel safer, doesnt cost much for a cotter key and bolt with a hole. hey just put some left over sealant on the nut.