tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
For those of you who have installed the Gretz heated pitot tube with the cool 3 LED indicator, how did you mount the indicator lights. I drilled 3 holes in my right console (8A) and inserted them from behind. They want to come out when I move the console around doing wiring. I have not tested them yet, so I don't want to make them TOO hard to remove until I am ready to fix them there for good. Even then I would want to remove them for maintenance.

Any ideas? RTV comes to mind.....any reason not to use that?

Tony

RTV will be how I do it

I've used it for exactly that application in my homegrown area lights:

17.jpg

So far, no dislodged LEDs, but then again, it's just sitting in my basement.

Thanks Martin

Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I thought rvt was the way to go, but thought I would ask around before I did it.

I like your LED array. I will be doing something similar.

Tony

LED's

Gil,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I am using the method you suggest in mounting LED's on my panel and perhaps elsewhere. The problem with using them with the gretz indicator lights is that the lights are too close together to do so, the are almost touching each other. There is no room for the collars of the retaining devices to go between them.

I appreciate your kind assistance in any case.

Tony

The LED Grommets/Collars work fine with the Gretz Pitot Tube LED's. We use them for all the panels we build. RTV is a cludgy way of doing it, and the LED mounting bushings are the easy way to go, plus they cost only a few pennies and the end result is a professional looking mount for the LED's.

You do realize you can move the lights apart so they aren't touching as well.....then you have plenty of room for the LED bushings.

Cheers,
Stein.

duh

stein,

Thanks for pointing out to me that I could move the lights apart. Duh.....what was I thinking. I'm afraid that it is too late for me to move the lights apart, since I have already drilled the mounting holes for them. When I took the lights out of the box, I saw that they were very close together, and it never occured to me that I could just move them!

Hopefully others who are reading this will benefit from my being a bonehead.

It looks like I am stuck with the kludgy way of doing it. If this is the biggest mistake I make in building my RV, I will be smiling at the end.

Thanks Stein for your insight.

Tony

How close?

tonyjohnson said:
Gil,

Thanks for the tip. Actually, I am using the method you suggest in mounting LED's on my panel and perhaps elsewhere. The problem with using them with the gretz indicator lights is that the lights are too close together to do so, the are almost touching each other. There is no room for the collars of the retaining devices to go between them.

I appreciate your kind assistance in any case.

Tony

Tony... the style in the two links above do not have retaining collars. The mount pushes in from the front and the LED pushes in and snaps from the back.

If the holes are less than 0.312 apart, then the Style 1 in the first link should work. What distance apart are your hole centers?

gil in Tucson

led's

Gil,

I just measured them. Center to center the lights are only .219, much too close to use the mounts. It is a shame that I did not realize that the LED's could be moved further apart before I drilled the holes for them. There is no room at all between them.

The items you mentioned would have worked perfectly. Thanks for sending the info. Although it is too late for me, perhaps others can benefit from the info. If I were to do it again, I would use those mounts that you suggested.

Maybe we should have a forum here "if I were to do it again".

Thanks,
Tony

Real estate matters to me

The reason I'm not moving them far enough apart to use fixtures is that they'll take up too much real estate. I came this close to just throwing them away...after all, I had no indication of pitot heat status on every other plane I flew, and never missed it.

So I'm willing to dip a toe in the 21st century, and get three count 'em three status lights...but I'm not willing to take up a lot of valuable panel space doing it.

Yeah, RTV is a hack...but you can't see the goop from the front!