cdeerinck

Well Known Member
This is my roll auto pilot servo. Any ideas on how to best keep this DB-9 connector secured and out of the moving bits?

2zscisw.jpg

Why not drop the connector all togehter. Just connect the pins individually shrink tube each pin and then shrink tube all of them together. Steinair has a youtube video showing exactly that technique.

Then you can use an adel clamp secured to one of the nuts holding the tie-down bracket.

Chuck,
I partially agree with Nilberg. I don't care for the weight and clunk of the DB connectors. However I do like to be able to take them apart later when necessary. I would take the casings off and use small tiewraps to hold the two together. Then I would use the snake skin/chinesse finger trap sleeve material over the connectors to protect them. Then I would use tie wrap pads at both ends. I don't use the tape on pads but the ones without tape and then I use Proseal to hold them in place.
2cpufih.jpg

Nilberg - I did just that for the tail trim, but was hoping to keep the plug here as Mark indicated.

Mark - your tip nailed it for me, not just here, but in other spots as well. The best part of what you suggested is using pro seal on the tie down plates. I hadn't thought of that. I just wish it didn't have such a short shelf life, and require mixing. Has anyone had success with a one part adhesive to do this? Even JB Weld is easier to deal with than Proseal.

High strength self stick velcro holds these connectors in place quite nicely. One piece on each shell, a longer strip on the airframe... Mine haven't moved yet, only 85 hrs mind you... If the airframe you are attaching to is free standing you can safety with a couple of tie wraps...

Here is the SteinAir video ...

click to watch video

For those who are planning to build their own panel, you will find the SteinAir videos a great asset. I wish I had discovered them sooner :eek:

what happens if you ever need to send the servo for repair, update or maintenance?
There are plenty of ways to keep the connector away and secure.

what happens if you ever need to send the servo for repair, update or maintenance?

Razor blade, slice off the heat shrink, pull the pins apart.

I have used this technique for a lot of places in my 10, here is the flap position sensor.

P7220009.jpg

Last edited:
"L" Bracket

Since you already have the connector installed, why not make and L bracket and rivet it in place. Mount the non servo side to the bracket and then use fasteners to attach the connectors as designed. You could have that done in 30 minutes. This will enable quick disconnect if needed.

Glue

Glue you a tie mount with E6000 (shoe goo). Then zip tie.... Scuff tie mount surface first then clean with alcohol. Works great!