gbrasch

Well Known Member
I know there are some good sources for charts on line (to view or print, not purchase). I need to pull one up and print out a section of it, and have tried EAA planner and SkyVector, but when I print, it comes out either too small, if I enlarge it, it distorts, or it prints incomplete. Anyone with a good site that prints well? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the off RV topic post.

I know there are some good sources for charts on line (to view or print, not purchase). I need to pull one up and print out a section of it, and have tried EAA planner and SkyVector, but when I print, it comes out either too small, if I enlarge it, it distorts, or it prints incomplete. Anyone with a good site that prints well? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the off RV topic post.

Glenn ... if you want the print outs "Trip-Tik" (sp?) style, I have found the EAA AeroPlanner does well.

Use the WAC charts and print directly from the web page (set print out to sheet #1 only). Cut each sheet to get the map part only and staple together in the correct order. I have not experienced any distortions.

I find this give a slightly enlarged scale, but just the right level of coverage for each page for flying around here in AZ. The printed course line and mileage to the next way point is useful.

Of course, you could pay extra $$$ and get the PDF output option...:)

gil A

Thanks Gill, I need a sectional, and for some reason the EAA site didn't print right, maybe just my computer, so I am still searching for another option.

Thanks Gill, I need a sectional, and for some reason the EAA site didn't print right, maybe just my computer, so I am still searching for another option.

Which sectional do you need, and what part? Maybe one of us has that chart and could scan/email it to you?

I need a good view of the Houston sectional of about a 25 mile radius of the Lafayette, LA (LFT) area. Thanks again.

Yup, just take a look at either of the sites above and take a screen dump. Should work OK.

Got one...

Glenn check your e-mail - the distortion seems to be with MS Paint...

gil A

Thanks to those that responded, apparently it was my computer, and thanks to Gil for solving my problem and sending me a JPG I could print out successfully.

AOPA

If you are a member of AOPA you can look at the airport directory (future use). Pulling up an airport will show a sectional next to it. If you click on that if brings up a page of it you can zoom in or out. It will also show what sectional its showing. Nice when you're not sure which sectional it falls in.

It pains me to say this, but if you want to print parts of the sectional from runwayfinder or skyvector, it's best to use Internet Explorer 7. IE7 has a pretty good print feature that will print the document exactly as you see it on screen. Firefox (my preferred browser) doesn't do this nearly as well. If I ever want to print part of a sectional I just load up IE7.

It pains me to say this, but if you want to print parts of the sectional from runwayfinder or skyvector, it's best to use Internet Explorer 7. IE7 has a pretty good print feature that will print the document exactly as you see it on screen. Firefox (my preferred browser) doesn't do this nearly as well. If I ever want to print part of a sectional I just load up IE7.

I bet that was my problem, thanks, I use Firefox. But again, I have it resolved and printed out.....

On-line big sectional JPEGs

I know Glenn has had his question answered, but most responders (including myself) used screen captures from SkyVector to get his picture.

I just found this site that has large JPEG files (8MB) of sectionals and terminal charts that would give much more choice for cropping and reducing (if needed) than screen captures.

http://welch.econ.brown.edu/n325hp/maps.html

It looks like a useful site...

gil A

I've thought about adding the ability to print charts from RunwayFinder. It would be pretty easy to select parts of the TIFF files I already have and put them into a nice PDF for printing. However, I wasn't sure many people would want to buy up lots of printer ink instead of just getting the real thing at their local FBO for a few bucks. Is there really a demand for self printing charts?

Aircharts or print your own or paperless?

SO WHAT IS THE STATE OF THE ART ON-LINE CHART SYSTEM?

It's 2008, everything is going electronic or wireless. With TFR's and NOTAMS* its hard to keep up with just paper. Usually geographical stuff stays the same. However new towers (like 1000' agl) go up all the time. If you rely on one electronic service its no substitute for a briefing, not only WX but new NOTAM's, which are not always disseminated by electronic services.

On-line is a great method but I still like paper. This is not an internet service you print out yourself but I like: http://www.airchart.com/. Even after the service expires its a cool reference. Its all the sectionals, WACs and terminals in one bound book. The pain is when you flight path kind of overlaps two panels, you have to flip back & forth to get the big picture. The update is painless, you just note the update in the back and before a flight you check to see if anything affects your flight. I also still like the old but handy "Flight Guide" by Airguide Pubs., the little brown books. It has VFR arrival info and "local tribal knowledge" that might not be in any other source. I just like paper, but Flight Guide was a pain to update. Even Flight Guide has seen the computer writing on the wall and has gone "On-Line". (I think they still offer the paper books as well.)

Computer services look cheaper? They may or may not be more update? Printing out color charts seems expensive and a bit of a pain. I have a cheap color printer. I think the computer services are more practical if used as "paper-less" system. Where you just load your notebook or tablet computer to view directly in the cockpit, skip the print process altogether?

The pain with paper services is they expire and you have to replace it, or you have to do endless revisions for places you might never go. The idea of getting charts just as you need them, before a trip is nice. However that does not eliminate you getting current Class I & II notams, FDC, Local and Distant notams and now TFR. Remember if its gone to class II (in hard print local FSS) you have to ask flight service for it specifically. I flew to an airport I thought was open, to find a big white "X". I got a preflight but it was a LOCAL notam not a distant notam, which the flight service I called did not have or give me, and I did not ask for it. The airport runway was done for months for refacing. Everyone in the area know it. No big deal, but glad it was day and there was a handy airport nearby.

Times have changed with wireless or paperless the way to go, but I really like having the whole USA on paper in the cockpit. More than once I started going East and ended up going South, way out of the way to end run weather. Once I just had the min basic charts and approach plates for the flight, but "ran out of charts". If you get just enough charts for your "expected" planned flight, Mr. Murphy will surly make you fly outside your chart coverage.

Is any one buying charts? :rolleyes: It seems to me many guys now just blast off with a 4 year old WAC and their wiz-bang GPS/EFIS. Even if the GPS is updated, does that meet FAR 91.103 "Preflight Action". Some GPS can get up to the minute updates with latest TRF's off the web as I understand it. That's a cool thing.

Bottom line I want something I can plug a tablet/notebook computer into the web, and get ALL current updated information, charts, airport diagrams with VFR and IFR arrivals and approaches, weather, notams, TRF's and so on, in one swoop, as needed. Even better is if that was integrated into the EFIS. Does any one have that yet?

How many RV'ers, I wounder, go on long X-C's, just kick the tires, light the fire and launch with a GPS?

Here is a nice notam write up on NOTAMS, I can never remember:
(This is still one of the most convoluted things in aviation, has it changed? It should.)
NOTAMS, Class (I) and (II), D, L, FDC/NOTAM codes
CLASS I: Distribution by means of telecommunications.
CLASS II: Distribution by means other than telecommunications.
D: (distant) information is disseminated for all navigational facilities that are part of the National Airspace System (NAS), all public use airports, seaplane bases, and heliports, listed in the Airport/Facility Directory (A/FD). The complete file of all NOTAM(D) information is maintained in a computer data base at the Weather Message Switching Center (WMSC), located in Atlanta, Georgia. This category of information is distributed automatically via Service A telecommunications system. Air traffic facilities, primarily FSSs, with Service A capability have access to the entire WMSC data base of NOTAMs. These NOTAMs remain available via Service A for the duration of their validity or until published. Once published, the NOTAM data is deleted from the system.
L: (local) information includes such data as taxiway closures, personnel and equipment near or crossing runways, airport rotating beacon outages, and airport lighting aids that do not affect instrument approach criteria, such as VASI.
information is distributed locally only, and is not attached to the hourly weather reports. A separate file of local NOTAMs is maintained at each FSS for facilities in their area only. NOTAM(L) information for other FSS areas must be specifically requested directly from the FSS that has responsibility for the airport concerned.
FDC: (Flight Data Center) On those occasions when it becomes necessary to disseminate information which is regulatory in nature, the National Flight Data Center (NFDC), in Washington, D.C., will issue an FDC NOTAM. FDC NOTAMs contain such things as amendments to published IAPs and other current aeronautical charts. They are also used to advertise temporary flight restrictions caused by such things as natural disasters or large-scale public events, that may generate a congestion of air traffic over a site. FDC NOTAMs are transmitted via Service A only once, and are kept on file at the FSS until published or cancelled. FSSs are responsible for maintaining a file of current, unpublished FDC NOTAMs concerning conditions within 400 miles of their facilities. FDC information concerning conditions that are more than 400 miles from the FSS, or that is already published, is given to a pilot only on request.

(So by radio you might need to call FSS and ask for update on info by local FSS, if the departure FSS was more than 400 miles away. Hard to believe it still works like this, but that is what's on the books. If any of the "services" claim to guarantee you will get "all avaiable info" per FAR part 91.103, it is worth the money. I doubt any of the services do more than rehash NOS stuff as best they can and public domain stuff on the FAA webs site.)

Last edited:
The local NOTAM situation has changed as of a few months ago. All new local NOTAMs are being entered as NOTAM-D so you shouldn't have the closed airport situation again.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1032-printable.html

I agree that I'd rather have everything in a wiz-bang up-to-the-minute updated electronic display. It's silly that we have to call up somebody on the radio to find out if an MOA is active or not. That info should beam right to our GPS or EFIS display. The technology is easy to implement. The info is all on the internet. It just needs to be beamed up to the planes. I'm sure the FAA will have it implemented in 20 years for $10B.

Dave, use Flight Following and inquire about MOA status.

I use the Airchart Topo Atlas. For a big picture I have the IFR/VFR Flight Planning Chart. I also use the Flight Guide books.

I have no Tablet PC and probably won't get one. Paper is fine.

Last edited:
DUATS Golden Eagle

The DUATS Golden Eagle flight planner is available free. It has the ability to integrate raster sectionals and you can buy them all or just one, whatever you like. The nice part comes in where the flight plan transfers to the sectional. They have all the other charts available, too. You can get other neat stuff from them too, but so far I've stayed with the free, excellent software and the local sectional. For flight planning with current data and WX, it's free. You only have to pay if you want the actual sectional/WAC/IFR stuff, etc. It also, of course, interfaces with DUATS for filing plans.

I still use paper, the Air Chart WAC in the airplane, but only as backup and for legality with the 496.

I don't know if this is still on the original purpose of the posting, but I thought many of you would want to know this.

Free....

In my previous post... I forgot to mention the magic word... FREE....:)

I just found this site that has large JPEG files (8MB) of sectionals and terminal charts that would give much more choice for cropping and reducing (if needed) than screen captures.

http://welch.econ.brown.edu/n325hp/maps.html

It looks like a useful site...

gil A

Good stuff

In my previous post... I forgot to mention the magic word... FREE....:) gil A
You silver tongued devil, I get all excited at that word, FREE! I kind of resent many of these "services" are just releasing publicly avaiable data, that's paid for with our tax money, than sell it back to us. I may be the only one, but I find VFR aeronautical charts fascinating, if not beautiful, like art? Weird I know. ha ha :rolleyes:

hevansrv7a, yea that is what I did, legal but frankly I leaned on the GPS, a lot.

Davepar, thanks Dave appreciate the info, i am not up to date. Flying IFR and being handed the flight plan and weather makes you lazy. You are right and probably predicting the future, to receive text messages, weather and ATC instructions. (Well weather is here with XM WX.) Some airlines get their IFR flight plane sent to them from dispatch electronically. It goes right into their FMC/EFIS. Than with data link on a mode S transponder, an IFR clearance is received electronically, verses calling, copy and read back. We are getting to the UMA (unmanned airliner soon) or pilot and a dog. The pilot is there as a back-up, and the dog is there to bite the pilot, if he tries to touch anything he's not supposed to. :D (I apprciate a non elect J3 more and more.)

Last edited:
I think that your projection of the future is wrong George. The FAA wants to force us to get ADS-B units (transponders). GA folks would get UAT units that have the ability to handle weather and TIS-B/FIS-B. Airline type planes would most likely use Mode-S frequency units (1090 ES) that does not have the bandwidth for weather.

Read AOPA and EAA comments on this proposal as well as mine at http://stopads-b.org/ADS.htm

Last edited:
Thanks I'll read it

I think that your projection of the future is wrong George. The FAA wants to force us to get ADS-B units (transponders). GA folks would get UAT units that have the ability to handle weather and TIS-B/FIS-B. Airline type planes would most likely use Mode-S frequency units (1090 ES) that does not have the bandwidth for weather.

Read AOPA and EAA comments on this proposal as well as mine at www.StopADS-B.org
Yea I am really out of date on this stuff, thanks for the link, I'll read it. I know there was talk of "free flight", but that scares me.

edit: (link dead for now, I'll try later, cheers. May be Gov conspiracy the links dead? ha ha)

edit 2: Found different link:
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080304ads-b.html
(FAA, airlines, GA and technology coming to a head, how novel, :( )

Last edited:
George...my mistake

I corrected the link above your last post.

Just this past week I had the chance to play with a Garmin 496 and see XM weather. It really is awesome. Then I was told that Zaon interfaces with it to provide very good traffic alerting.

Those two functions are largely the benefit that GA is supposed to get with ADS-B IF....BIG IF...they equip not only with ADS-B Out but with "In" capability and some sort of display. That is potentially very costly.

I see that folks here are very active about the 51% rule yet they seemed to ignore a potentially costly mandate that could just as easily ground them. How many can afford a $20,000 (WAG) cost that provides info that they do not want or can get much cheaper today?

$20K for a new transponder? Great!

I corrected the link above your last post.

Just this past week I had the chance to play with a Garmin 496 and see XM weather. It really is awesome. Then I was told that Zaon interfaces with it to provide very good traffic alerting.
I am not a 100% privatization guy but clearly a commercially avaiable real time in-flight WX getter/imaging from XM is so great for safety. Traffic alerts integrated is a boon to safety for GA pilots. Forget nit-picky notam's and tfr's, wx and mid airs cause GA accidents. $20k you say? Wow! And pilots complain about a $980 ELT. Considering the Gov can't commit to even 406Mhz elts, I am gussing their incompetence might be a good thing. We have a "one world" deal, so all the countries need to agree as well. The delay is a good thing, since mode C and S work just fine for now.

The de facto seems to still be mode C or mode S for some time to come? :confused: I was worried they where going to ban mode C for mode S and $2000 to $4000 Tpdr's. It seems there was a commitment to mode S, but I'm not buying one until I have to. As far as I know, a basic mode S tpdr model does not do more than my mode C, circa 1980's. The FAA is backing away from providing the T.I.S for Traffic Information System info for mode S. They de commisioned most of them I heard. I guess the old TRACON computers could not handle it? Like you said, on-board passive traffic alert devices that cost less than $1000, are almost as good, better coverage wise; add XM weather, what more do we need.

New technology is great but at some point we need to just fly. Mode A/C has been around the civilian world for what, +50 years? If there is a technology shift, they have to pick one and stick with it, one that makes cents (pun intended). May be they should just put upgrade on hold for a decade and see what new technology we might see. I suspect satellite based stuff will be more common. Gee, Ron we should be in-charge, things would be better. :D (that no elect J3 cub is sounding better all the time.)

Last edited:
George, the $20,000 is just a WAG for full ADS-B functionality (In and Out). The ADS-B Out NPRM states that just Out may cost around $17,000 for a new install. Maybe that includes the likely TSOd GPS receiver (maybe your 496 is not acceptable.)

Then add In functionality and a display plus many people would be forced into a panel rework and $20,000 may not be a bad guess.

ADS-B may provide the FAA and airlines with a benefit (not a sure thing for the airlines) but ADS-B Out only provides little to no benefit to GA. If I want weather and traffic alerting I can get it today. And far cheaper than ADS-B.