JerryG150

Well Known Member
The note on pg 10-08 states to leave the ties on the 1208 frame and forward of the 1208 frame loose. But after I riveted the 2 ports and threaded the tubing thru the 1208 frame and attached to the 2nd. port and forward thru the j stiffeners as per instructions with the p30 wire also in place can I THEN tighten all the ties on the 1208 frame and forward? Once I add the tailcone skin it will be much harder to get to.

Yes it is OK

A portion of the wiring harness is going to be routed to the magnetometer bracket that I think is/will be at the top of the F-1208 bulkhead.
Maybe they are left loose for that?
Everything aft of that point should be able to be tightened though.

Wonder why they have you put a string in the wings for future lights but none in the tail cone. Had to crawl into the tail cone today and it was not an easy task.

Related Question: Do you anticipate a problem with running the wires and tubes in the "J-Groove"? As they pass each bulkhead it seems like there is a high potential for wear. We're considering installing grommets in each bulkhead. Thanks, I'm a newby to the site and have found a lot of great info.

Re: Related Question--There is a hole in the "J-Groove" on both sides of each frame for a tie wrap to secure the wire. There is not much room between the frame and the groove but it is a small wire. I just was working on the portion of the build today where the lower side skins are hooked into the frames, and wondered the same thing. Got out the wire and put it in the groove for a look-see. I doubt if you can even change wire routing on an ELSA build so that's not a good idea. Build it per plans.

I didn't see a hole for the tie wrap, I'll study it this morning. Good Point on the "build per the plans" comment. This J also happens to be one that had interference, so as recommended, I filed a groove in the bulkheads to avoid misshaping the J stiffeners. Created more edges to worry about... thanks, GDS

Static port sealant question

The instructions for the static system says to use RTV on the tubing connect to the static port. I did a web search and found a lot of different RTV compounds. I read in Marty's blog where "electronic grade" is recommended by Van's as it is friendly to aluminum.
What store sells this stuff? And, do you have to buy a whole caulk gun cartridge or can you get it in a small tube?
I know Proseal is an alternate, but I don't have any of that either (yet).

Tony