gotyoke

Well Known Member
RV-14 Plans, section 17-03 step 3 says "Dimple all the #40 holes in the flanges of all the W-1008-L & -R Splice Ribs and W-1009-L & -R Leading Edge Ribs." Normally I choose to dimple after I prime, so I read ahead to see why it might make sense to dimple earlier.

You assemble the leading edges with the ribs dimpled but the skins not dimpled (weird). Then you match-drill new holes in the ribs, then disassemble.

Then in section 17-04 step 7: "Deburr then dimple the #40 holes in the W-00008-L & -R Leading Edge J-Stiffeners and W-1009-1, W-1009-2, and W-1009-L & -R Leading Edge Ribs."

It's confusing to have the plans repeat that you need to dimple those ribs again. Though I suppose it makes some sense because now you need to dimple those holes you match-drilled. But frankly, I'm not convinced dimpling on 17-03 step 3 is needed.

At this point, I'm inclined to move forward with my original plan: wait to dimple until after initial assembly and match-drilling. Does anyone see/know-of a problem with that?