Rick6a

Well Known Member
After reading several posts from builders who prefer flight adjustable rudder pedals, I am having second thoughts about my original decision to install the ground adjustable version and here is why.

I can easily relate to some pilots who prefer to move the pedals out of the way on long cross country flights so they can stretch their legs. I find this a highly desirable option. When I want to stretch my legs in my 6A, I simply slip my feet under the rudder pedals. Doing so allows my size 12 feet to almost touch the firewall. Is this not possible with ground adjustable pedals in the -8?

Since I am far away from being able to sit in the cockpit and make "airplane noises", it is difficult for me to envision the inherent comfort level of its cockpit environs.

In the early stage of fuselage construction, it would be a simple deal to just send back the ground adjustable subkit and upgrade to the flight adjustable flavor. My question is this....should I?

Hi Rick,

The last thing I want to be accused of is spending other people;s money....and yes, the in-flight adjustables cost a little more, but if you install them, and then rarely adjust them, you're just out a little money. If you don't install them, and then find that you'd like to have them....well, that's gonna be a disappointment.

Of course, I've only flown with the inflight adjustables, so can't give you a comparison per se'....but I do like being able to shove them up front for "storage" on a long cruise.

Paul

I would add a couple thoughts
1. Resale. If you get a little guy or a big guy, it sure is nice to show em the adjustable pedals.
2. If you let folks fly your plane (I do that from time to time). It makes it real nice for them. Safer too.

Little money, nice feature. Id go for it. Mine get used a lot.

Best,

I rent diamonds with in-flight adj. pedals and I just shove them all the way foward and leave em there (I have long legs). On longer flights I usually bend my knees more and if the pedals are already all the way foward well then....
I have tried sitting in my 8 at its current stage and it seems that the pedals all the way forward will be too far away and I too thought about trading up for the in-flight adj. parts. However I'm far from made of money so I will probably stick with my ground adj..

If you go with the ground adjustable pedals, I would recommend that you install the nutplates (2 in firewall, 2 in floor) that attach the in-flight adjustable pedals. That way you, or someone else, can change the pedals. These nutplates cannot be installed after the forward subfloor is in place so you are locked into your initail choice if you don't install them. I'm assuming that you can completely remove the ground adjustable pedals if necessary.

Do they make in flight adjustable rudder pedals for the RV 7 or just the
-8. Just wandering and what is the price difference.

Thanks in advance

Rick6a, If you decide to send back the gnd. adj. hardware and trade up, I'd be curious to know how much you still have to fork over (after the credit) for the in-flight adj. hardware. Just in case I change my mind.