sandifer

Well Known Member
From Randy Reinhardt -

The Fall 2015 edition of the famous Sebring Aerobatic contest is rapidly approaching for which a horde (I think I spelled that right) of acro pilots will descend upon SEF; some descending more than others. We know that there are large numbers of pilots out there who have considered competing, but haven't for various reasons. These people (meaning a lot of you people) are afraid of being made fun of because of your inexperience or are otherwise anxious about the arcane rules sometimes used during competitions, or, even more likely, just don't know what to expect. Well, we're taking care of those concerns this year. For this contest, we have a "First Time Competitor/Primary and Sportsman Coordinator." That person is me. If you think you might want to try a competition, show up and I will run a short session with you to answer any questions and explain the dos and don'ts of contest participation. Most of them are dont's, like "Don't point the tail at the starters tent and start at full throttle." Or, "Don't engage in projectile vomiting in the hotel elevator." Or, don't bother Monique or you may spend the entire contest on the Southeast boundary when she OMG! forgets to pick you up. I and my minions will watch you fly a practice flight and
recommend a category, most likely Primary or Sportsman, but on occasion we have recommended bowling. We won't make fun of you. You are low
hanging fruit. It's much more fun to make fun of the guys we've been making fun of for years.

You will have the opportunity to learn all the mad monk secrets of this special group of pilots. Fun is almost guaranteed. If you are flying Sportsman and want a Freestyle, and believe me, you probably do, we can design one that uses your and your aircraft's capabilities. You can get 4 days of almost unlimited critiquing as long as you keep me adequately hydrated and fed. There is a hotel on the airport and 2 restaurants, the always excellent runway Cafe and the new Snack Shack.

And we really need the new blood. When I first started flying this contest 30 years ago, we had excitement continuously. We had car chases through the orange groves featuring mad Russians, tempermental Brazilians, and future US Team members. We had notable moonings from the control tower. Now,
after the flying is over for the day everyone sits around reading Modern Maturity magazine and comparing colonoscopy stories.

So, come to Sebring for practice beginning [ed. Practice/Registration: Saturday, October 31 - Wednesday, November 4, Rain/Weather: Sunday, November 8]. If you are a newcomer and have any questions about getting started, let me know. You will be soundly welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
RVs will be there

Ron Schreck and I are preregistered for this contest. If another RV shows up, there will be three and the most I have ever heard of at a contest. Come join the fun.
Bill McLean
RV4 slider
lower AL