Wardo

I am looking at having my local leather shop make my seats. Besides buying the patterns and cushions from vans, does anyone have any other options/ideas?

I tried my local upholstery guy ...

Even if I provided the Van's seat cover patterns/drawings, he said the covers in leather would be more costly than the price from Flightline. He said he would have to order the leather special, and the labor (for someone who's never made them before) would be high.

Hot Leather

I thought about leather but figured with a bubble canopy and the Florida sun I was asking for a hot, hot seat. I went with Flightline's cloth.

My thought process and choice... you get to build what you want:).

Don

Classic Aero Designs

does a beautiful job. I have their aviator cloth. they also offer leather.

rver8fly

I have had two interiors from Classic Aero and both were beautifuly done. The crew there is very helpful even on producing some non-standard items I wanted. Service was prompt and product was always sent sooner than scheduled. You can't go wrong with Classic Aero.

Made locally

I bought the Van's seat cushions and patterns for my RV-8. I went to a fabric store and bought two cow hides for about $175 each. I found a local upholsterer who did a great job for about $500. I used the extra leather on the glare shield, side pockets, arm rests and flap motor/controller covers. Glued it in place with automotive headliner spray glue. I like how it turned out.

I have 200 buck into my seats

And I think they are pretty nice, I used grey sheepskin seat covers, the kind you buy for your car, and marine grade plastic leather for the underside, bought that from a fabric store. The foam I picked up for free and made the shapes that I wanted. My mother in law sewed them up, she did a great job. I am a big guy at 6'6", so their isn't alot of padding under my arse or behind me to help me fit in my 8A. I don't have any picks but the sheepskin is very nice both summer and winter.

Randy
8A