Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I've read posts about some of you taking your small grandkids for rides. Do you have pictures of the seating that you used. I would like to take my 5 year old grandson for a ride, and he wants to go. But he won't be able to see much.

Thanks,
Michael-

From when my son was 3ish, I simply stuck his car seat in the airplane (sometimes with towels under the seat to give additional height). There was an inexpensive product I bought from Amazon (IIRC) that helped keep the twin shoulder belts from falling down around his shoulders. Basically it was a strap that held the shoulder belts close together above where the belts all hooked together. You can see it here (just below the length adjustments on the shoulder straps).

Click the picture and the orientation is correct...

Car Seat.JPG

Might want to plan for 2 trips to the airport for his first flight. First trip is a fitting trip to see what works. If everything fits, you're good, but if it doesn't, you get what you need and make it work the second time around.

I’ve been flying with my kiddos for years. Pretty easy to modify (cut) stick clearance out of most any booster seat for a car.

Car seats

We have an extra set of child seats for the car that we put in the RV-10. I put some ratchet straps that have no hooks but a continuous loop of webbing through the hard points in the bottom of the seat then through the back of the car seat and tighten. I use the center of the aircraft shoulder harness where they meet and add a loop of webbing to attach the car seats top strap onto. Lightspeed is happy to send you a “tall” headset pad if you have their products. We put a baseball cap on the kids head that the headset gets a bit of extra contact area so the headsets don’t fall off. A few hundred hours of flying with the kids and this has served us well so far. We tried the cheap kids size headsets and they are junk and created a very poor experience for the kids when we used them.