johnp

Well Known Member
I really want the 5-point harness -- BUT, my wife is not real thrilled with the crotch strap. I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the crotch strap is installed, it must be used (i.e., the 5-point harness doesn't work well or at all with only 4 points connected.) However, I also seem to remember reading that with the rotary connector, each segment snaps in independently, which seems to imply that you could use it without the crotch strap connected. Of course, it might not be effective with only 4 of the straps connected, but I don't know. I'm sure somebody out there on this forum has the wisdom/experience to answer this question.

yes, i've thought about 5 on the left and 4 on the right, but i don't really like that solution either.

At least with the vans belts, you can simply choose to not connect the crotch strap at the connector.

johnp said:
I really want the 5-point harness -- BUT, my wife is not real thrilled with the crotch strap. I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the crotch strap is installed, it must be used (i.e., the 5-point harness doesn't work well or at all with only 4 points connected.) However, I also seem to remember reading that with the rotary connector, each segment snaps in independently, which seems to imply that you could use it without the crotch strap connected. Of course, it might not be effective with only 4 of the straps connected, but I don't know. I'm sure somebody out there on this forum has the wisdom/experience to answer this question.
My Hooker 5-point harnesses have the rotary buckle attached to one of the lap belts. All the mounting points are the same, so I don't see why you couldn't just let the center strap dangle if you don't want to use it. It would be just the same as if you didn't have it at all.

Disclaimer: I have not actually installed my belts yet, YMMV.

mcb

The only reason a five point harness would not work with only four connected is if the main buckle is on the crotch strap. Excepting that, you would be no worse off than using a system that was only four points to start with. That crotch strap adds a lot of protection, however, in two modes. One, it prevents "submarining", where you slide down out of the harness, and two, it keeps the lap belt down on your pelvic bone instead of up on your abdomen where it can cause catasrophic internal injuries. Yes, I'm a big fan of five point harnesses.:)

The Crow rotary buckle is perfectly happy if you leave one of the straps "not connected" - from a mechanical standpoint. I agree with the fact that the crotch strap adds significantly to the safety of the harness in a crash, and I like the way it hold the lap-belt in position. But the latch works fine if you leave things out - I sometimes take off the shoulder straps in a high altitude cruise, just to stretch and move around a little.

Paul

Agree with Paul... I have a Scroth rotary on my hooker harness and I do not hav e a crotch strap (due to me not knowing as I was doing my wiring for the stick grips... all my wires go right where that crotch strap mounting structure goes). it works very well in the 4 point system. Hooker did send me the 5th belt in case I wanted to go that way in the future.

Neither Hooker harness (both rotary and military) nor Crow (both rotary and military) require use of 5th point.. but as has been said, it's a good idea to have it.. and you don't notice it... I'd suggest installing 5th on both sides....