jte65

Well Known Member
Has anyone else noted that the right and left seats are not equidistant from the center tunnel. The left seat sits a bit further away from the tunnel (and hence, closer to the roll bar) than the right seat. I looked back to make sure I did not make a mistake somewhere. However, the holes for the hinges on the seat floors were all pre-punched so the hinge locations were predetermined. Looking at some other builder's pictures, I have noted the same thing.

Has anyone checked with Van's to see if this is intentional? I had thought about it and cannot come up with an obvious reason for this.

seat spacing

hey,
I'm not a builder, but I noticed on my RV-9a that hinges tend to be the width of the rolled knuckle one way or the other...and....if you want to put the pilots seat in the most forward position, the roll on the inboard end of the seat interferes with the centre cover, .....I had to hack off this last knuckle.

Even if you have long legs, you may want to recline the seat for more comfort or headroom, so I'd suggest doing this before painting.
Another idea, if you are weight conscious, a few minutes now with a step drill would lighten the seat backs a bit, and perhaps let some air circulate, depending on your seat foam construction of course.

Another idea, if you are weight conscious, a few minutes now with a step drill would lighten the seat backs a bit, and perhaps let some air circulate, depending on your seat foam construction of course.
Since this is on the RV-12 forum, it might be noteworthy to mention again that no modifications are allowed on E-LSA in the US.

clarification on seat asymmetry

Even if you have long legs, you may want to recline the seat for more comfort or headroom, so I'd suggest doing this before painting.

Thanks but to clarify, the spacing I am talking about is side to side and not forward/aft. And as per Mel, such alterations are not allowable with the RV-12 if built as an E-LSA. In addition, the seat backs already have about 20 very large lightening holes.

Just finished the seat backs, and, also noticed that the right and left seats are not equidistant (there's about a 1/2" difference) from the center tunnel. Also, the right seat back is not centered on the seat belt brackets.

Page 21-07 shows the position of the seat floor hinges. Is the position of the right seat floor hinges backwards?

Obviously, a lateral balance issue

Just gotta figure weight_of_pilot<(weight_of_copilot+weight_of_gas), therefore the left shift of the seats compensates for the heavy right side of the plane :D

For what it is worth, I just looked at mine, yep the left seat is half or three quarters of an inch closer to the roll bar. I wonder why.

Those hinge loops are 1/2 inch wide, so if you moved it over to the center one space on the hinge, they would be about equeal

This still bothers me, I bet it is actually just a mistake in the plans. I put the seats in today for trial fit, and rather than move a seat closer to the center, I think I may move the one closest to the center outwards. Would give more room to grab the flap handle. Has anyone actually made both of the seats the same?