Mark Albery

Well Known Member
This is the new type fuselage kit.

I've just fitted and drilled the F-826-1 and F-827-1 skins to the seat rib assembly.
Plans say DO dimple holes common to seat ribs assembly and DON'T dimple fwd and aft rows of holes that are not common to the seat rib assembly.

No mention of what to do with the holes where the skins overlap mid-belly.
As the skins are soon going to be rivetted to the inboard ribs and spar bulkhead, it would seem logical to dimple the overlap holes now.

Am I missing something?

TIA for the benefit of your experience.

Mark,

If you are asking about the row of rivets that join F-826-1 and F-827-1 lengthwise down the center, YES-dimple them now.

Regards,
Guy

Mark,

Check with Van's on Monday. On the -7 and -9 one row gets CS'ed and the other gets dimpled. Again, those are very different airplanes than your -8 so double check.

Thanks chaps.

So nice to go to bed with a problem and wake up with an answer.
Skins now dimpled and busy priming.

Mark - (RV4 - G-MARX and RV-8 standard build fuselage)

Out of interest, when does this line of holes on the 826-1 to 827-1 get rivetted?

It's tempting to want to do most of them now, while access is easy. I'm guessing that I need to keep the edge free for later fitting.

Anyway back to the longeron bending...

Not far

If you are bending your longerons, then it shouldn't be long till you are riveting the seat rib sub-flooring to the skin. by the way, in the longeron bending, I didn't cut the notch in the aft end of the 887 upper longeron until it was fitted in the fuse, and am I glad I didn't. Kevin Horton explains it in his site, might check it out.

Randy

If you are bending your longerons, then it shouldn't be long till you are riveting the seat rib sub-flooring to the skin. by the way, in the longeron bending, I didn't cut the notch in the aft end of the 887 upper longeron until it was fitted in the fuse, and am I glad I didn't. Kevin Horton explains it in his site, might check it out.

Randy

This is how the P.P. -1 fuselage instructions have you do it.

Out of interest, when does this line of holes on the 826-1 to 827-1 get rivetted?

It's tempting to want to do most of them now, while access is easy. I'm guessing that I need to keep the edge free for later fitting.

Anyway back to the longeron bending...

They should be riveted when the two skins are riveted to floor ribs.

rvbuilder2002,

Thanks for that. The plans seem to ignore any specific reference to that row of holes in the seat rib sub-assembly. Presumably, you left the last few rivets out, as in the rib, to allow for skin fitting. I guess others have made assumptions, or just left it till later without any problem. I haven't managed to find any other reference to it on the forum though.

I'm tempted now to pass the question back to Van's for their comment and let you know.