kgood

Well Known Member
When I built my RV9, I installed the Van's-supplied 4-point harnesses with the steel buckles. I have 260 hours on the plane, with no issues with the harnesses until recently. Twice within the last month, I have encountered turbulence and my buckle has unlatched.

The first time it happened, I knew that we were going to encounter turbulence as we descended into the 'Vegas valley, so I made sure our lap belts were good and tight. We were flying along nice and smooth when suddenly we hit a severe downdraft. I hit my head so hard on the canopy that I was sure I had broken it. My headset flew off, as did my glasses. When I regained my senses, I realized that my harness was undone. I thought that I must have unlatched it somehow when we hit the downdraft. My son's belt stayed secure.

Today, I was returning in from So. Cal. and it started to get bumpy again. So I slowed down a bit, tightened my belt, and paid careful attention to keep my hands and arms away from the buckle. Sure enough, I hit a bump and it was undone! I inspected it and it looks perfect.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you have any recommendations for a more secure harness?

Thanks
Kurt
RV9 / WAM 120 diesel, 261 hours.

I purchased a used set from a VAF member that was changing colors. When the gray belts showed up, they looked like new. After playing with them, latching and such I did not like the way that the latching mechanism worked............... and never installed them.

The latch was a BEAM'S the belt was AERO-TUFF.

You can get a set of Crow racing harnesses for about $160 - rotary buckle, all the bells and whistles. I've never had one of those unlatch - and I HAVE had a mislatch on the traditional aviation buckles.

I have experienced the exact same issue with the standard vans belts but put it down to being a little casual about securing the belt. Now I do a firm pull test as part of the seatbelt check. Reading this thread I am now considering replacing the belts.

Current pricing off the Crow website has the SBS RV belts at $145 without pads and $165 with pads.

Is this the only source or can these be found cheaper from other outlets?

Can these belts be used without the crotch strap fitted? I will need to retro fit the hard point.

Doug Gray
Glad now I have held off from any aeros!

I love my crows,

Camloc, 2" and no pads. I recieved crotch straps but won't be using in the 10. Well worth the money. Self explanatory to passengers unlike Vans belts.

We have the vans belts. 900hrs and a few unlatch cases, often simply become loose. I'm not going to use them in the next RV.

Kurt,

Either Crow or Hooker Harnesses, but ground the plane until this issue is resolved! If you're flying around by yourself and this happens again like the first time you described, it might not turn out so well for you.